Honored Contributor

Re: Please help - mother of the bride dresses ???

@spent2much

D, $52, sizes 14 and 16

Sangria Illusion Lace Midi Fit-and-Flare Dress

Item #04536140

Sangria Illusion Lace Midi Fit-and-Flare Dress

Honored Contributor

@spent2much

D, $63 in 14 and 16

S.L. Fashions Floral Embroidered Fringe Jacket Dress

Item #04569228

S.L. Fashions Floral Embroidered Fringe Jacket Dress

Honored Contributor

I bought two MOG DRESSES that I loved, one at Penneys.com and one at Macy's .com.

I didn't pay over $100 for either.

Both were sleeveless with sheer jackets

I bought mint, beige, lavender , smoke and wore beige and lavender .

Honored Contributor

@spent2much

D, $74, size 14 only

Jessica Howard Fringe Poncho Dress

Item #04495015

Jessica Howard Fringe Poncho Dress

Honored Contributor

@spent2much

D, $84, size 14

Tahari ASL Lace Jacket Dress

Item #04480218

Tahari ASL Lace Jacket Dress

Honored Contributor

@spent2much

This one is a bit more at D, $118 in 14 and 16.

S.L. Fashions Sequined Shoulder Jacket Dress

Item #04411895

S.L. Fashions Sequined Shoulder Jacket Dress

Honored Contributor

There are probably some in your area too.  In the Washington, DC (Georgetown, etc) area there are shops that sell barely worn and some have never been worn dressy dresses.  Also suits, etc.

I've never shopped there because I don't work but I know people who've donated there and even bought there.  A lot of wealthy people buy expensive clothes and either don't wear them or wear them once or twice.  They are usually very well taken care of.

You might look into that.  I'm not talking Goodwill.  I'm talking about shops that are more upscale.  I'll bet if you looked you could find a nice dress that might have been hundreds for maybe $100.

To the lady who said she didn't think she'd wear it again.  If it isn't real fancy she should re-consider.  This daughter will only marry (hopefully) and it should be a very special occasion.  That doesn't mean you have to spend a lot just don't rule out a little fancier dress than you'd normally buy.

Afterward, find an occasion to wear it out again (maybe for dinner or just to feel good about yourself).  Just a suggestion.

I haven't worked in 42 years yet when I leave my house you'd think I was going to work at a professional office (not fancy).  You need to take pride in yourself and it will do wonders for you.

So, go out there and start looking.  Just don't rule out looking on the internet for places to go.  If you fell like you look good, you will and your daughter will be very proud of you for stepping out of what sounds like your comfort zone.

You need to remember that these are hopefully the pictures that will be looked at many times over and you don't want to look at them and not feel good about the way you looked.

Please come back both of you and tell us what you got.

In 2001 lightning hit our house and for 5 full months we lived in a hotel.  During that time we had one daughter marry in April and another marry in July.  It was an eventful year.  One was during the day and military and the other was at Congressional Country Club (so you can imagine how fancy that thing was).  I couldn't wear the same thing.  Making it more difficult, one was at night.  I splurged and got what I thought was 2 beautiful different dresses. Back then I wasn't quite as fat as now.  Probably a size 16.  There are many pretty dresses in the little larger sizes.   I've worn them once or twice but when I look at the pictures it was worth it.  

Respected Contributor

@spent2much

Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding.

I've been both the MOB and the MOG, I'd suggest you make an appointment at a department store, or bridal salon and try on dresses.

Looking online will give you ideas but seeing a dress on a size 2 model who is 6' tall and in her 20's, doesn't give us a realistic idea of how a dress will look and fit us.  This is such a special day and you want everything to be perfect.

Have fun shopping.

Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

My daughter is getting married in May in North Carolina.  I've been searching online and can't really find what I like.  It has to be something I won't be hot in.  I don't like short sleeves, but a sheer (cool) fabric in a 3/4 sleeve would be ok.  I don't want a long dress.  Even a dress with a sheer "jacket" would be ok.  (Can ya tell I don't like my upper arms?)  Pleeeeeeeease help me. Smiley Sad

@spent2much Do you have a David's Bridal where you live?

When our son got married, I found the perfect dress there.

The Mother of the bride always gets to pick her color first.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

There are probably some in your area too.  In the Washington, DC (Georgetown, etc) area there are shops that sell barely worn and some have never been worn dressy dresses.  Also suits, etc.

I've never shopped there because I don't work but I know people who've donated there and even bought there.  A lot of wealthy people buy expensive clothes and either don't wear them or wear them once or twice.  They are usually very well taken care of.

You might look into that.  I'm not talking Goodwill.  I'm talking about shops that are more upscale.  I'll bet if you looked you could find a nice dress that might have been hundreds for maybe $100.

To the lady who said she didn't think she'd wear it again.  If it isn't real fancy she should re-consider.  This daughter will only marry (hopefully) and it should be a very special occasion.  That doesn't mean you have to spend a lot just don't rule out a little fancier dress than you'd normally buy.

Afterward, find an occasion to wear it out again (maybe for dinner or just to feel good about yourself).  Just a suggestion.

I haven't worked in 42 years yet when I leave my house you'd think I was going to work at a professional office (not fancy).  You need to take pride in yourself and it will do wonders for you.

So, go out there and start looking.  Just don't rule out looking on the internet for places to go.  If you fell like you look good, you will and your daughter will be very proud of you for stepping out of what sounds like your comfort zone.

You need to remember that these are hopefully the pictures that will be looked at many times over and you don't want to look at them and not feel good about the way you looked.

Please come back both of you and tell us what you got.

In 2001 lightning hit our house and for 5 full months we lived in a hotel.  During that time we had one daughter marry in April and another marry in July.  It was an eventful year.  One was during the day and military and the other was at Congressional Country Club (so you can imagine how fancy that thing was).  I couldn't wear the same thing.  Making it more difficult, one was at night.  I splurged and got what I thought was 2 beautiful different dresses. Back then I wasn't quite as fat as now.  Probably a size 16.  There are many pretty dresses in the little larger sizes.   I've worn them once or twice but when I look at the pictures it was worth it.  

Seriously? ROFL

"To each their own, in all things".