Respected Contributor

Please help - mother of the bride dresses ???

My daughter is getting married in May in North Carolina.  I've been searching online and can't really find what I like.  It has to be something I won't be hot in.  I don't like short sleeves, but a sheer (cool) fabric in a 3/4 sleeve would be ok.  I don't want a long dress.  Even a dress with a sheer "jacket" would be ok.  (Can ya tell I don't like my upper arms?)  Pleeeeeeeease help me. Smiley Sad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Re: Please help - mother of the bride dresses ???

@spent2much

Glad to help!Cat Very Happy

A few questions to narrow the search-

size?

maximum price?

color?

Regular Contributor

How funny that I see this thread. My daughter is getting married in May too! I have been looking for a dress since October. I found one that I was all excited about and it would have been perfect but when I went to order it, it had been discontinued. It was a knee length sheath with a 3/4 sleeve jacket from Social Occasions by Mon Cheri. So anyway, now my search continues. 

I feel doubly overwhelmed as my other daughter is also getting married this year in August. I need to find 2 dresses and 2 outfits for the showers, not to mention the shoes, jewerly, clutches and such that go along with it.

I wish you luck on finding your special dress and congrats to your family.

Super Contributor

For a spring/summer wedding in the South, I would suggest you wait a little bit and try looking in department stores.  Winter fashions are going out and spring type styles are just now starting to hit the stores.  Since you want a short dress, the bigger, big name stores should have what you are looking for in a summer type dressy dress.  I would not trust buying online for a bridal dress at all unless you have a brand that you are absolutely sure of, that will always fit you.  If all else fails, you could always have a dress made for you, with fabric you pick out in a fabric store.  Don't rule out a full length dress either, because it can always be shortened to your liking.  It is a very cheap thing to have done.  If you really want to purchase online or just want to look at ideas, I would highly suggest lightinthebox .com. It is based in Hong Kong.  We bought our daughters wedding dress from them.  It was perfect.  Her measurements were a perfect fit with their sizes. They have pages and pages of MOB dresses.  Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@spent2much

Glad to help!Cat Very Happy

A few questions to narrow the search-

size?

maximum price?

color?

lolakimono... Thanks for your interest!  Uhhhhh unfortunately I'm about a 14-16.  Can't seem to lose the weight I've been trying to lose, so I'm coloring my hair a lighter blonde.  Smiley Wink  Color:  I LOVE pink, but I'm getting desperate.  Light blue, light green, deep pink, taupe - I'd settle for one of those colors.  I'd rather not spend more than $100, but if I LOVE it, I would.

Respected Contributor

Social Occasions by Mon Cheri - WOW, those are pricey!  Would you believe I've never owned a "formal" dress?  I'd rather not spend that much cuz I don't think I would wear it again.  But thanks.

Respected Contributor

@terriebear Thank you so much.  Good advice and good ideas... those help!  I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

If you have a Nordstrom near you, I would check the website information about a personal shopper. This is a free service they offer and a personal shopper will help you find an outfit, undergarments, and even accessories if you want. It's great for special occasions like weddings, but it's available all the time.

You set up an appointment, have a phone consult, and when you arrive you'll find a dressing room filled with items that are appropriate for the occasion, fit within the budget you've discussed, and match your other personal preferences ("I don't want my arms to show").

I hope you find something you love and have a wonderful time at the wedding,

Regular Contributor

Have you checked out Macys? Bloomingdales? New York Dress? JCPenneys? Davids Bridal? I am trying to think of all of the sites I have checked.

Lord and Taylor, Wish Brides, The Wedding Knot, Saks, Younkers. 

If I can think of more sites I will come back and post them for you. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@spent2much

If you can do petites, these are $60 at Nordstrom Rack- sizes 14P and 16P remain.

Details:Sequined floral lace shapes the sleeveless silhouette of a sparkling sheath finished with a gracefully scalloped coordinating bolero.
- 37" dress length; 14 1/2" jacket length (size 8P)
- Dress has hidden back-zip closure; jacket has no closure
- Dress is lined, jacket is unlined
- 55% Nylon/40% polyester/5% spandex
- Hand wash cold, lay flat to dry
Additional Info:True to size.Petite-5'4" & under.