Respected Contributor

Re: Goodwill rocks!! My jeans story ends happily? Does yours??

On 1/8/2014 chrystaltree said:

The thought of wearing used closed just just sounds icky to me. No disrepect to those can't afford anything else, you do what you have to do under trying circumstances but I wouldn't stoop to wearing cast offs just because they cost $5 when there are a lot of affordable jeans available. My sister and a friend are both swear by Walmart's Faded Glory (or something like that) jeans that they buy on line for some ridiculous prices like in the $12-15 price range. Great denim, great fit and NEW. Old Navy also has very affordable jeans and Old Navy is always having deep discounts and surprise online sales that make the jeans even more affordable. I'm sure Sears also has a $20 jean.

I have a problem with that too, as I mentioned in my earlier reply. My cousin thinks I'm nuts, as she regularly finds great deals on used clothing and has no problem wearing it.

To each his own though. I don't disrespect anyone who chooses to wear used clothing, even though it's not something I'm inclined to do myself.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2014 Wadzlla said:

I think the quality of the second hand shops depends on where you are located. Our Goodwill is set up like a boutique. Are clothing is cleaned and pressed before it is put on the floor. There are no torn or stained items, and all clothing is in nice shape, not worn out. The furniture and housewares are terrific too.

The clothing is racked according to size and season. There is a separate area for designer items, with seating and dressing rooms. There is no shortage of plus size clothing from Chicos, and other nice labels. There are Cadillacs and Mercedes in the parking lot.

My mom and I used to go "antiquing" back in the 60's & 70's. It was so much fun finding great deals.

I think of her now when I am looking for goodies.

A lot of the quality depends on where the store is located. I live in north metro Atlanta, and I've identified several top-notch Goodwill (and other thrift) stores located near very affluent areas. I go often, and they're the bomb! It just makes sense: more affluent households are likely to donate better quality stuff! This is true not only with clothing, but with household goods as well. It's not unusual for people to redecorate high end homes and donate unbelievably fine home goods and accessories. I've seen (and sometimes bought) custom window treatments, expensive throw pillows, very, very nice table and bed linens, artwork, lamps, and the like for a song. If your home is blue and white and some tasteful homeowner tosses her decorator blues and whites for a new color scheme, you're a winner! I swear, I need to open a store to resell stuff. I have a pretty good eye, and I can't bring it all home.......though my heart still aches for some gorgeous buys I've had to bypass and leave on the shelf.

I was reading a recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens while I sat in the waiting area at my car service place yesterday, and a major article was about decorating with a mix of bought furniture and thrift store/yard sale/flea market "finds". The results can be lovely and far more interesting than a pre-coordinated ensemble from Rooms to Go or even a higher end furniture/home store. My home is a mix, and I love it!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2014 Topaz Gem said:

I have an issue with wearing used clothing, but it's my problem and no one else's. Wink That being said, you can even find good buys on new clothing at Goodwill and other thrift shops.

Recently, I went into a local thrift shop and a cute pajama set caught my eye. I could tell by the condition of the flannel that it had never been worn or washed. Although the paper tags were gone, the plastic ties that held the tags were still on the garment. The set was priced at $5.00 and that day they were having a 50% off sale on all pajamas. I got a brand new, Liz Claiborne pajama set for $2.50! I was thrilled, because at the time, I really needed fall and winter PJ's so my bargain was well-timed. My cousin was with me and she said that someone probably got the set as a gift and never wore it and decided to donate it to help animals, as that thrift shop benefits local animal charities.

My local Goodwill gets regular donations of brand new clothing from Talbots, Ann Taylor, and many local department stores. It's worth checking the racks!

Yes, I see those higher-end labels at Goodwill often.......plus Villager, Jones New York, Calvin Klein, Parisian Signature, Lord &Taylor, and more. I have a Saks pants outfit I snagged for under $10. Probably my best fashion score to date is an Eileen Fisher lined wool jacket, brand new with the original $360+ Dillard's store tag still attached........

You have to remember that (with the exception of a few items placed in a higher-priced "designer section" -- and they miss a LOT of them), the racks at Goodwill are uniformly priced by category. All of the blazers are the same price; all of the pants are the same price; all of the sweaters are the same price, etc. No matter if you're looking at a faded old blouse from KMart or a designer silk number from Saks. It's $4 and change.

I guess I seem really passionate about this, but I really am a dyed-in-the-wool thrift store adventurer, enthusiast, and hobbyist! The thrill of the hunt, the victory of the big score -- such FUN!

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2014 GoodStuff said:

I think the quality of the second hand shops depends on where you are located. Our Goodwill is set up like a boutique. Are clothing is cleaned and pressed before it is put on the floor. There are no torn or stained items, and all clothing is in nice shape, not worn out. The furniture and housewares are terrific too.

The clothing is racked according to size and season. There is a separate area for designer items, with seating and dressing rooms. There is no shortage of plus size clothing from Chicos, and other nice labels. There are Cadillacs and Mercedes in the parking lot.

My mom and I used to go "antiquing" back in the 60's & 70's. It was so much fun finding great deals.

A lot of the quality depends on where the store is located. I live in north metro Atlanta, and I've identified several top-notch Goodwill (and other thrift) stores located near very affluent areas. I go often, and they're the bomb! It just makes sense: more affluent households are likely to donate better quality stuff! This is true not only with clothing, but with household goods as well. It's not unusual for people to redecorate high end homes and donate unbelievably fine home goods and accessories. I've seen (and sometimes bought) custom window treatments, expensive throw pillows, very, very nice table and bed linens, artwork, lamps, and the like for a song. If your home is blue and white and some tasteful homeowner tosses her decorator blues and whites for a new color scheme, you're a winner! I swear, I need to open a store to resell stuff. I have a pretty good eye, and I can't bring it all home.......though my heart still aches for some gorgeous buys I've had to bypass and leave on the shelf.

I was reading a recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens while I sat in the waiting area at my car service place yesterday, and a major article was about decorating with a mix of bought furniture and thrift store/yard sale/flea market "finds". The results can be lovely and far more interesting than a pre-coordinated ensemble from Rooms to Go or even a higher end furniture/home store. My home is a mix, and I love it!

ITA. A Goodwill just opened up in my area and its location is in the midst of several affluent towns. It's a great adventure to go there, as the quality of the merchandise donated is top notch. I even purchased their discount card which gives me an additional 10% off and 25% off on my birthday. It's my favorite store!

I work at a company where many of the business professionals make a very good salary and I see many of them shopping at Goodwill every time I go. One of my co-workers that I often run into does exactly what you mentioned about decorating. She picks things up at Goodwill for friends who are moving into a new apartment or house, and helps them decorate. She said she gets so many compliments on her decorating skills and she said she gets all her merchandise from Goodwill and other thrift shops.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

I have an issue with wearing used clothing, but it's my problem and no one else's. Wink That being said, you can even find good buys on new clothing at Goodwill and other thrift shops.

Recently, I went into a local thrift shop and a cute pajama set caught my eye. I could tell by the condition of the flannel that it had never been worn or washed. Although the paper tags were gone, the plastic ties that held the tags were still on the garment. The set was priced at $5.00 and that day they were having a 50% off sale on all pajamas. I got a brand new, Liz Claiborne pajama set for $2.50! I was thrilled, because at the time, I really needed fall and winter PJ's so my bargain was well-timed. My cousin was with me and she said that someone probably got the set as a gift and never wore it and decided to donate it to help animals, as that thrift shop benefits local animal charities.

My local Goodwill gets regular donations of brand new clothing from Talbots, Ann Taylor, and many local department stores. It's worth checking the racks!

Yes, I see those higher-end labels at Goodwill often.......plus Villager, Jones New York, Calvin Klein, Parisian Signature, Lord &Taylor, and more. I have a Saks pants outfit I snagged for under $10. Probably my best fashion score to date is an Eileen Fisher lined wool jacket, brand new with the original $360+ Dillard's store tag still attached........

I guess I seem really passionate about this, but I really am a dyed-in-the-wool thrift store adventurer, enthusiast, and hobbyist! The thrill of the hunt, the victory of the big score -- such FUN!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

ITA. A Goodwill just opened up in my area and its location is in the midst of several affluent towns. It's a great adventure to go there, as the quality of the merchandise donated is top notch. I even purchased their discount card which gives me an additional 10% off and 25% off on my birthday. It's my favorite store!

A Goodwill discount card??!! Whoa!! I haven't seen those in our area, but I'm surely going to ask now! I do make sure to shop on "senior day" -- every Tuesday -- when shoppers 55 and up get 25% off their entire purchase.

Respected Contributor

A Goodwill discount card??!! Whoa!! I haven't seen those in our area, but I'm surely going to ask now! I do make sure to shop on "senior day" -- every Tuesday -- when shoppers 55 and up get 25% off their entire purchase.

Definitely inquire next time you go there. The cashiers at my Goodwill routinely ask customers if they'd like to purchase a discount card. The card costs $10.00, but if you shop there frequently, you make your money back in no time. I bought mine just before my birthday, so a week after buying it, I got 25% off my entire purchase. It really adds up.

I just checked my card and it says Club Goodwill Membership Card. Card entitles you to a 10% discount on every purchase. It doesn't say anything about the 25% off for your birthday, but the cashiers mentioned the birthday discount to me and they honored it on my birthday; that's all that counts. Smile

I hope you can get one in your area. It's possible that it only covers Goodwills in New England, but if so, you can lobby your local Goodwill to offer that program in your region. Go to the website that covers your area and send them a suggestion.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Honored Contributor

Eww you gotta look out for bedbugs at any resale shops.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I don't usually shop Goodwill, thrift, or consignment stores. I prefer to buy new clothing. I went in a thrift store once with a friend who frequents these kinds of stores, and I did buy a purse and some housewares. The clothes looked icky. We also went in a consignment store, and there were nicer clothes in there than in the thrift store, but I didn't buy anything. I guess I just don't think about shopping in places like that. I know some people find some really nice things.

Super Contributor

http://www.clothesmentor.com/ this is a very nice shop, and a good business opportunity.