Honored Contributor

Re: Goodwill rocks!! My jeans story ends happily? Does yours??

I love Goodwill. It's my favorite place to shop.

Respected Contributor

I really get a kick from thrift store shopping, whether it's clothing, furniture or whatever. I find lots of wonderful decorations there also - especially after a holiday such as Christmas when people get rid of things that didn't work out for them. Last year I got a gorgeous Santa who is taller than me, beautiful face, amazing outfit. Only $50.00. Everyone wants him.

I found a pair of brand new Prada boots for my daughter last November for under $40.00. The box had a price of $425.00. Got a couple of skirts for me that are the same brand as two jackets I can still wear (but the skirts were a little tight). Rejuvenated my wardrobe! Planning to drop off a number of formals and Mom of the Bride dresses next week and do some personal shopping.

But Depglass is right. It's easier to find things if you wear a small size - I usually get a 14 or a large, and there aren't as many things to choose from. I think people have these smaller things and grow out of them, so the thrift stores end up with lots of tiny things. Yes, I'm envious.

Esteemed Contributor

My sis who is a small size manages to find nice clothes thrift store shopping. Barely or never worn clothing too. My other sis has found brand new shoes and new tops as well. I am not so lucky but I do clean out my closet and donate clothing including some seldom or never worn nice outerwear.

Super Contributor

The Goodwill stores in Palm Desert and Palm Springs are pretty much the same as Macy's, ha, ha, so no need to go to Macy's. It's funny, I find Macy's' things I like at thrift stores, but when I go into Macy's once in a great while, I can't find anything I like.
Super Contributor

Frequent Contributor

I'm ADDICTED to Goodwill. Fortunately the store is close to my home so I'm able to go there a few times a week. You never know what you'll discover. I've found several coats and jackets for myself and a Columbia winter jacket for my hubby for $7.99 in perfect condition. Why pay retail prices?? It does take time to browse the racks and shelves, but I find it relaxing and have met several nice folks there, as well. If you haven't shopped there yet, check it out. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/7/2014 Perkup said:

But Depglass is right. It's easier to find things if you wear a small size - I usually get a 14 or a large, and there aren't as many things to choose from. I think people have these smaller things and grow out of them, so the thrift stores end up with lots of tiny things. Yes, I'm envious.

It's easier to shop anywhere if you're a smaller size.......but I'm a plus size and find great things at thrift stores. People of all sizes donate clothes, and there are plenty of larger women out there! In fact, one of the main reasons people donate clothing is that they gain or lose weight and dump a wardrobe that no longer fits. I love it when a large lady with great fashion sense is successful at Weight Watchers and leaves her clothes to me!

Super Contributor

So happy for you and I love tag sales and flea markets and checking stores like goodwill for home decorations or glassware or just anything..........to me it is more fun and where I live they have ugly clothing so I don't even go into the stores anymore unless I need something. I did go to Dillards 50% off the pink label and got two pretty gowns for Summer so I am happy about that. Happy for you. There are hidden treasures everywhere.

Super Contributor

I purchased a $400.00 Cynthia Rowley handbag for $4.99. Perfect condition. I don't think it was ever used.

You have to frequent your local second hand stores regularly to find the "good stuff". There are times when you find nothing, and other times you can find a treasure!

It is so nice to shop and not go broke.

Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2014 californiamomofthree said:

WOW!!! 4.99?! I'm such a jeans freak, this is something I need to seriously start doing! I also hear that sometimes going to thrift stores in "better areas" means (how do I say this delicately) kind of better clothing, is this true?

It is absolutely true. The Goodwill near me definitely reflects the economy. However, the Goodwill store and thrift stores in Hilton Head, South Carolina are unbelievable and people drive for miles to shop there. Designer clothing and furniture in perfect, beautiful condition.