Honored Contributor

Re: Goodwill rocks!! My jeans story ends happily? Does yours??

Definitely it depends on the area. The thrift stores in my city have items that look like they should have gone in the trash. The consignment stores in my area are the same way.

However, if I go about 30 miles east, thrift shopping and consignment stores are much better.

Respected Contributor

I get most of my jeans at Old Navy (Rock Star Skinny) because I love the way they fit and usually get them on sale along wit a coupon.......good enough for me. Great find for OP!

Honored Contributor

I love hearing stories like this!

As a member of ComPact, I have committed to not buying any clothes in January but I hope to have similar results next month. All my jeans are getting baggy. I never had much luck finding clothes at thrift or consignment shops in the past but I've lost a lot of weigh & there is a huge selection of smaller sizes.

Even if I have good luck at thrift stores I know I'll still buy retail. I shop clearance & often get new items for about the same price as thrift stores. I recall getting jeans for $6 at Macy's.

Honored Contributor

The thought of wearing used closed just just sounds icky to me. No disrepect to those can't afford anything else, you do what you have to do under trying circumstances but I wouldn't stoop to wearing cast offs just because they cost $5 when there are a lot of affordable jeans available. My sister and a friend are both swear by Walmart's Faded Glory (or something like that) jeans that they buy on line for some ridiculous prices like in the $12-15 price range. Great denim, great fit and NEW. Old Navy also has very affordable jeans and Old Navy is always having deep discounts and surprise online sales that make the jeans even more affordable. I'm sure Sears also has a $20 jean.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Definitely it depends on the area. The thrift stores in my city have items that look like they should have gone in the trash. The consignment stores in my area are the same way.

However, if I go about 30 miles east, thrift shopping and consignment stores are much better.

I find junk clothing on sale at Salvation Army. I went several months ago on their discount day & ended up walking out because of it. Many things belonged in the trash rather than on the racks. On top of that, they pack it so tight you have a hard time pulling things out to look at them. Goodwill is a bit of a drive & I can't recall the last time I went there. It has been a few years.

I have a high end consignment shop I like that is a pleasure to shop at but it is small.

Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2014 Wadzlla said:

I purchased a $400.00 Cynthia Rowley handbag for $4.99. Perfect condition. I don't think it was ever used.

You have to frequent your local second hand stores regularly to find the "good stuff". There are times when you find nothing, and other times you can find a treasure!

It is so nice to shop and not go broke.

I've had good luck finding quality handbags in great condition at consignment shops, too. The most I've paid was $18 for a D&B.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2014 chrystaltree said:

The thought of wearing used closed just just sounds icky to me. No disrepect to those can't afford anything else, you do what you have to do under trying circumstances but I wouldn't stoop to wearing cast offs just because they cost $5 when there are a lot of affordable jeans available. My sister and a friend are both swear by Walmart's Faded Glory (or something like that) jeans that they buy on line for some ridiculous prices like in the $12-15 price range. Great denim, great fit and NEW. Old Navy also has very affordable jeans and Old Navy is always having deep discounts and surprise online sales that make the jeans even more affordable. I'm sure Sears also has a $20 jean.

Clothing from the thrift store goes directly to the dry cleaner's or washing machine before it goes into my drawers or closet. Always. $20 jeans are good, but high-end brand names for $4 or $5 are even better. I've been thrift shopping for years, and no problems yet. Lots of great, unbelievably cheap, high-quality clothes, though!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Contributor

I am a thrift store shopper, too! Goodwill stores are popping up all over the place. My whole family enjoys it, so we like to go together. The guys like to look over the electronics.

I love to find QVC items! I have bought Denim & Co., Susan Graver, Quacker Factory, and others. I once got a Susan Graver faux suede blazer for 50 cents at a Salvation Army store. We have purchased several Pendleton items, brand name handbags, you name it! I got my mother-of-the-bride dress there for $5! It was online at Macy's for $140. I didn't go there looking for it, I just came across it and it was perfect for me!

I really hardly shop for new clothes anymore, unless I just have to have something! If you go often enough to browse these shops (and it doesn't take long once you know the store) you can find almost everything you need! I think it is great fun!

Super Contributor

I think the quality of the second hand shops depends on where you are located. Our Goodwill is set up like a boutique. Are clothing is cleaned and pressed before it is put on the floor. There are no torn or stained items, and all clothing is in nice shape, not worn out. The furniture and housewares are terrific too.

The clothing is racked according to size and season. There is a separate area for designer items, with seating and dressing rooms. There is no shortage of plus size clothing from Chicos, and other nice labels. There are Cadillacs and Mercedes in the parking lot.

My mom and I used to go "antiquing" back in the 60's & 70's. It was so much fun finding great deals.

I think of her now when I am looking for goodies.

Respected Contributor

I have an issue with wearing used clothing, but it's my problem and no one else's. Wink That being said, you can even find good buys on new clothing at Goodwill and other thrift shops.

Recently, I went into a local thrift shop and a cute pajama set caught my eye. I could tell by the condition of the flannel that it had never been worn or washed. Although the paper tags were gone, the plastic ties that held the tags were still on the garment. The set was priced at $5.00 and that day they were having a 50% off sale on all pajamas. I got a brand new, Liz Claiborne pajama set for $2.50! I was thrilled, because at the time, I really needed fall and winter PJ's so my bargain was well-timed. My cousin was with me and she said that someone probably got the set as a gift and never wore it and decided to donate it to help animals, as that thrift shop benefits local animal charities.

My local Goodwill gets regular donations of brand new clothing from Talbots, Ann Taylor, and many local department stores. It's worth checking the racks!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James