Respected Contributor

I went to a wedding recently and was shocked to see very few women wear nylons, most of the women didn' wear any nylons. Have women stopped wearing nylons?

Honored Contributor

Re: All Nylons Out Of Style?

Yes...for about 25 years to date...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Yes.  I went to a winter wedding that was semi-casual.  I wore a dress with boots, but because the dress had a modest side slit, one of my legs would show while seated, so I couldn't wear some warm tights that I have that are black.  (The dress would not work with black tights or hosiery.) I ended up having to order a nude pair of hose just to have a bit of warmth, as it was a cold night, and I deemed myself very lucky to find a reasonably priced pair of nude hose!  No local store had any nude hosiery unless I wanted to spend $$$. They now make fleece tights that are nude, but they don't get very good reviews, so I just opted for some control top pantyhose, since they are thicker.

I wear a lot of dresses to church when the weather allows and always go bare-legged.  At 61, my legs are not my best feature, so my dresses are below the knee.  There is one woman who is easily my age and wears skirts slightly above the knee.  She always has on nude pantyhose, and I always think how odd it looks.

Honored Contributor

I also think the term"nylons" is out of style. I haven't worn stockings in a long time. If I had to dress-up and wear stockings I would probably wear knee-highs.I never wear dresses.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama  Most women self tan their legs now. Some women still wear sheer silky pantyhose. Wear what you feel is best for you! I recently went to a wedding & wore a silk wrap dress & I wore sheer pantyhose which looked great with that dress. Usually I do not except for a few occasions. I do not let the sign of the times preach to me. Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Nylons are out and I think it's a shame.  My feelings are that they make your legs look so much better.  It's a more polished look especially if you are getting dressed up.  Running around town in a sundress with sandals is different.

I know some will say they won't wear them in the summer because they are too hot but most of us are in air conditioning.  I see women in leggings all year round so what's the difference?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Panty hose may be out of style but plenty of women still wear them with dresses. Hanes stores & website still sell them and they're reasonably priced. Nylons hide scars and flaws and the spandex in them gives legs a nice shape. They, along with a slip, also conceal panty lines and give a woman an overall better appearance.  I can't understand why women who complain about how uncomfortable panty hose are will wear tights or leggings,  which are heavier and just as constricting. 

Respected Contributor

I still wear them for church, weddings, and formal occasions. I wear tights in the winter with boots. I don't wear them for casual wear. So for me, they are not out of style, however, I still wear slips!

Honored Contributor

Maybe 20 yrs. ago when I may have worn a skirt or dress, I purchased the stockings in the egg at the drugstore. I must have tough on them, even the ones in the dept. stores never made it more than one wear.

I stopped wearing them when I had to wear a shade so light I looked like a nurse. BTW, they don't wear them anymore either.

Honored Contributor

I haven't worn hose in 20 years and don't plan to ever wear them again.  

If my legs are going to show, such as in a dress or skirt, I'll use a little Jergens light self tanning lotion on my legs so they don't glow in the dark.