Honored Contributor

Re: All Nylons Out Of Style?

I don't care if they're out of style. I still wear hose with most of my dresses when I sing at church. I have a few casual skirts and dresses for hot summer days, and with those I skip hosiery. 

Trusted Contributor

If you see pantyhose as an uncomfortable inconvenience, you should have gone to college with me when we wore girdles and garter belts with tabs to hold up our nylon hose. Pantyhose had not been invented yet, and when they were, we young women rejoiced because so much easier to put on than our thigh high hose, garter belt and panties. I rarely wear a dress these days because my legs are my worst feature, but when I do I wear medium tone pantyhose to partially cover all the old-age veins in my legs. When I worked as a teacher and nurse I wore the support pantyhose because the compression made my legs feel less tired from being on my feet all day. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't wear skirts or dresses anymore except in the summer and then I wear sandals or flip flops. Therefore, I have no need for hosiery.  Not that I've looked, but I haven't even seem hosiery in drug stores or elsewhere in years.  Do people order them online?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started to wear stockings in fourth grade with the seams up the back (because they were cheaper) with a garter belt as required by my private school.  In the 1960's when mini skirts became popular, I wore pantyhose which were sheer, breathable (unlike tights) and had a panty attached which was fabulous because your mini was very short.  I have worn pantyhose ever since,

It makes your legs look fabulous, it prevents them from "jiggling" when you walk, it smooths out the crepe look in your legs as you get older; your shoes, boots fit better and are easier to put on with pantyhose.  If I could wear them under a bathing suit I would!!!

I stand on my assets.........my legs!  I do not find them uncomfortable in any way, nor do I find them confining.  I prefer, even at this stage of my life (in my 70's), a finished look which is not achieved with a bare leg.............

Esteemed Contributor

@CJC 

Laughing because I have these same memories from high school!

Girdles and stockings....and I was thin as a rail, but I had multiple Olga undergarments to wear.  It was what we did...no pantyhose, but lots of Hanes stockings in Barely There color and Sheer Black Mist...We would buy them one pair at a time (all we could afford).

Struggling back into those girdles while still wet from our showers was the highlight of our "gym class" experience.

My best friend nearly fainted at her wedding from wearing a "long line" bra and girdle in the blazing July heat.  I helped her out of it when she changed clothing and she was quite woozy Cat LOL

When pantyhose finally came around, it was hard to stop wearing those girdles.

Esteemed Contributor

As with  all fashion , you do you .

Seems to me the pantyhose  wearing vogue went away in the 1990's . Remember all those Sharon Stone movies .

During the summer I use self tanner to have some color on my legs , but I do wear  midi legnth dresses . I wear opaque hose  when it's cool  weather .  I do wear nude hose with shorter  dresses on special  events.

Respected Contributor

I quit wearing pantyhose years ago...even when I still wore dresses. I'm 69 now, and no longer wear skirts/dresses at all, even for weddings, etc.

Many of the older ladies at my church still wear pantyhose. If it makes them feel better about how they look, I'm all for it! 

What looks odd to me is wearing pantyhose with sandals, even in the summer! I see that quite a bit at my church. But, again, if it makes these ladies feel more confident about how they look--go for it.

Honored Contributor

If I'm wearing a dress, I'm wearing pantyhose.  You don't want to see my legs without them.  I don't self tan; could never get that to look right and it stinks.  But, even if I did, I just don't have nice legs.  I'll wear them with dress pants too.  

As much as people say they're out of style, and I'm sure they are, I see young people wearing them too.  

Honored Contributor

It's a choice for many.  If you have ugly legs you can: Wear pants; wear a long dress; go with your ugly legs sticking out.  

Just do whatever you feel comfortable doing because I doubt others are paying that much attention to you.  That's what I always figured anyway. 

Honored Contributor

I have mainly seen tights used in cold weather.  Professional fashion shows sometimes will use a sheer black leg.