Valued Contributor

Long story short, I downloaded Windows 10 then decided to go back to Windows 8.  My screen is frozen.  HP wants a couple of legs to help.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Windows Help

[ Edited ]

Long story too short.

What's on your frozen screen? Did you try to reboot?

Try calling Microsoft to see if they will help you for an arm instead of a couple of legs.

Honored Contributor

I hope rebooting helps...

I didn't want to reserve a copy for that reason..in case i didn't like it or computer problems.

I hope you can get this resolved a.s.a.p.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can go back once you upgrade the operating system.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can go back once you upgrade the operating system.

Apparently Microsoft promised that you could. But I don't know if they explained HOW. 

Honored Contributor

ChynnaBlue wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Apparently Microsoft promised that you could. But I don't know if they explained HOW. 

Yikes!  I hope they make good on that, then!   I'd be afraid that going back and forth could easily cause some less-than-fixable problems, though.

Respected Contributor

Use the recovery disks you made when the computer was new.  This will only be a good idea if you perform a backup the computer before you updated to Windows 10. 

Valued Contributor

My home screen is frozen.  Rebooting does not help.

Recovery disk?   Not sure if I have that.

On hold with Microsoft.  Almost 1 hour wait.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Yikes!  I hope they make good on that, then!   I'd be afraid that going back and forth could easily cause some less-than-fixable problems, though.

This link gives a pretty clear picture of what versions can and cannot go back once 10 is installed:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2738057/uninstall-windows.html

Valued Contributor

I did that exactly