Super Contributor

Many times on the Q Electronics board people ask for recommendations on which smartphone or tablet to purchase.  No device is perfect, but in my experience working with numerous students who have various devices, I've found there are fewer problems with Apple products.

The two major players in mobile operating systems are Apple iOS and Android (which runs on the majority of mobile devices worldwide).  Many times Android devices are cheaper, therefore folks buy them because money is the deciding factor in their choice.

I encourage you to consider other factors besides the upfront cost.  One of the deciding factors, in my opinion, should be the security of your device and the ease with which it can be updated to fight off attacks by malware.

Apple makes the hardware and the operating system software for all their devices.  They control the App Store and curate the apps that are posted there to insure they will run as expected on your device without worrying about the developer of that app stealing your personal information from your tablet or phone.  This is not true when using an Android device, because the hardware is made by one company, the operating system software by another, and apps can be downloaded from numerous app stores operated by yet other companies.  Sometimes these apps contain malware that can drastically affect your device and possibly collect personal information from it.

Issuing updates for Android devices has become a serious problem.  The following article explains why:

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/07/27/426613020/major-flaw-in-android-phones-woul...

Pay special attention to the section toward the end of the article, Android Partnerships are Complicated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why I prefer Apple devices

Nice work Cha1k!

Personally, I prefer BlackBerry.  I use my iPhone as my car's iPod.

Apple does everything the BlackBerry does, but with less security and more popularity.

When I plug my encrypted BlackBerry Z10 into my laptop, I have to put my phone's password in.  Apple doesn't do that, creating a severe security lapse.

If I wish, I can go into Dev mode and easily download Android apps on my PlayBook (tablet), or Amazon App Store for my Z.  While Apple has more apps than any teenage girl can wish for, BlackBerry doesn't.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Give me Andoid. Safe is as safe was! I don't care what kind of protection is on any device that uses the internet/cell towers/wi-fi or cables.

None of them are safe, as has been shown by BIG Major companies in Silicon Valley being hacked. I would mention the many millions of fed workers records being hacked, but?

Based on what was paid for a certain website, and how well it did not work, much less being protected? That hacking sure didn't surprise me. 

Price points are important to those like myself that live on a fixed income, but so is not having enough internal memory for many that use them. Spend $100 for more memory when I can buy a 32 or 62g micro-sd card for less than $15, and add as many as I want.

I'll stick with value and the #1 operating system, but as I say on this BB often:  "to each be their own", and "Cha1k", I am happy you are happy.  :-)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I love Android devices.  Have family & friends that jumped on the Apple bandwagon and are now using Android phones.  So much easier and safer.

Honored Contributor

@Cha1k wrote:

Many times on the Q Electronics board people ask for recommendations on which smartphone or tablet to purchase.  No device is perfect, but in my experience working with numerous students who have various devices, I've found there are fewer problems with Apple products.

The two major players in mobile operating systems are Apple iOS and Android (which runs on the majority of mobile devices worldwide).  Many times Android devices are cheaper, therefore folks buy them because money is the deciding factor in their choice.

I encourage you to consider other factors besides the upfront cost.  One of the deciding factors, in my opinion, should be the security of your device and the ease with which it can be updated to fight off attacks by malware.

Apple makes the hardware and the operating system software for all their devices.  They control the App Store and curate the apps that are posted there to insure they will run as expected on your device without worrying about the developer of that app stealing your personal information from your tablet or phone.  This is not true when using an Android device, because the hardware is made by one company, the operating system software by another, and apps can be downloaded from numerous app stores operated by yet other companies.  Sometimes these apps contain malware that can drastically affect your device and possibly collect personal information from it.

Issuing updates for Android devices has become a serious problem.  The following article explains why:

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/07/27/426613020/major-flaw-in-android-phones-woul...

Pay special attention to the section toward the end of the article, Android Partnerships are Complicated.

I am saving up to buy a new laptop. I am considering an Apple. I'm not tech savvy and am worried I won't know how to use it. I have an iPad Air and iPod Touch and have no trouble with them. My nephew has a Apple MacBook (not sure which one) and says it's very different than the PC I'm use to. Also I'm confuses with the different choices there are with the Macs. 

Honored Contributor

I'm like the next guy...I like to get a good deal.  I'm not hung up on brand names & find suitable alternatives to a pricer options. 

BUT, when it comes to technology, I want to be as "Sheeple" as possible.  

I know Apple products are secure.  I also know if I have an issue with any of my products, there's a zillion other people around the world with the same issue....and it will be fixed immediately.   AND I can go to the Apple Store & website to get help.   Is there an Android Store? 

Respected Contributor

Android is definitely NOT safer than Apple. Don't know where you got that from. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Nice work Cha1k!

Personally, I prefer BlackBerry.  I use my iPhone as my car's iPod.

Apple does everything the BlackBerry does, but with less security and more popularity.

When I plug my encrypted BlackBerry Z10 into my laptop, I have to put my phone's password in.  Apple doesn't do that, creating a severe security lapse.

If I wish, I can go into Dev mode and easily download Android apps on my PlayBook (tablet), or Amazon App Store for my Z.  While Apple has more apps than any teenage girl can wish for, BlackBerry doesn't.

In all fairness, Apple does not have "less security." As @Cha1k said, nothing is perfect but they are safer and more secure.  Your example about connecting the device to the computer is misleading -- there are customized settings and device owners generally have choices about whether or not passwords, key codes, etc., are required.  I type in a password every time for my Apple devices.

Android devices are not safer or more secure than Apple devices.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Cha1k wrote:

Excellent informaton, @Cha1k!  Thanks for taking time to share this.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

PC for laptop w/Norton360 here. Mine is a refurbished Windows 7 HP. Have had good luck.

iPhone and iPad... Infuriating to update and have Apple wipeout apps, but love the all-in-one safety and functionality.

Could not use a MAC laptop-- just couldn't adapt.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~