Honored Contributor

Re: Telephones With Call Blocking

[ Edited ]

That's a great idea @Marp!  I'll block my cell phone and see what happens.  I'll report back.  It will probably be tomorrow before I do it, though.  My cell phone is charging right now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Blocking robo calls is about as worthless as blocking spam.  They know multiple ways to get through.  If you have caller ID, don't answer calls from numbers you don't know. 

Valued Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

Regarding those irritating calls, has anyone else experienced this?  The phone rings and our caller ED shows my husband's name and our home phone number.  I wonder how they do that?

Yes, happened to me, but with my husband's name -- but he died five years ago. Gave me a start! A message from the grave? was my first thought.

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

Blocking robo calls is about as worthless as blocking spam.  They know multiple ways to get through.  If you have caller ID, don't answer calls from numbers you don't know. 

I never do answer them.  I still don't like it when they call daily.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Nick - did it just ring once, or did it keep ringing?   I ask because, unfortunately, even when a number is blocked it will ring one time if it calls again.  

If it just kept ringing and you can see that symbol on the top of the screen that it's a blocked number, I think I would return it because it's not doing what it's supposed to do.

I'll tell ya - all these calls are crazy-making.  I have had all my phones turned off for months now.  It's a real pain because I miss calls.  Fortunately, I'm on the phone VERY seldom, so I don't miss a lot of calls - but still!  Smiley Sad

It is just so maddening that they can do this, especially the auto-dial thing.  That negates that you pay more money for a private and unlisted number.  It's just plain wrong.

I've been trying to convince my husband to just get rid of the landline and, at that point, I'd go ahead and spend some of that money to get a smart phone.  At this point I am not at all tied to my cellphone and never have been.  I forget to turn it on half the time.  But I'd rather just get a better phone and use that.   But he says that our alarm system still needs the landline.   BTW, every now and then even my cell phone gets these calls.  It is positively infuriating!

Honored Contributor

@Zita wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

Regarding those irritating calls, has anyone else experienced this?  The phone rings and our caller ED shows my husband's name and our home phone number.  I wonder how they do that?

Yes, happened to me, but with my husband's name -- but he died five years ago. Gave me a start! A message from the grave? was my first thought.

@Zita

Yikes!    What a shocker!     Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  @Marp 

Chickenbutt, it kept ringing, so I know it wasn't blocked.  There must be some way they got around that.  The call that I tried to block said "Police Assistance."  Very strange.  

Marp, I just called my # with my cell phone and blocked it.  When I tried my number again with my cell phone it rang once and that was all.  I didn't get a recording or anything saying it was blocked, just a message on my landline that said "call blocked."  

I guess it's working, just for some reason the other phone # was able to keep from being blocked.  If this happens again I'll return the phone.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's some serious b.s. that they can put some name on it that will preclude it from being blockable.    That ires me to no end.

For several days last week I was getting calls (several times a day) from something that just said 'out of area'.  Now, you know how that used to work - it would say that AND there was a phone number.   This one just said 'out of area' with no phone number so there was no way I could block it.

You don't even want to know what I'm REALLY thinking about this stuff.  I can't even describe how angry it makes me, using nice words.

Regular Contributor

WE GET THE SAME WITH OUR NUMBER TOO AND SO MANY MORE, IT ALWAYS STARTS WITH "THIS IS BRIDGET", I HAVE TOLD THEM SO MANY TIMES TO STOP CALLING BUT THEY JUST HANG UP, SO SOMETIMES I JUST WAIT TILL I CAN HIT WHATEVER BUTTON TO GET SOMEONE AND SAY HOLD ON AND LEAVE THE PHONE, I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A BLOW HORN OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED. SCHOOLS USE IT FOR OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES, IT SOUNDS AWFUL AND ANNOYING.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, if it blocked your number as it should have I doubt there is anything wrong with the phone.  The other number getting through has something to do with them.  I'm not positive but I think there are some numbers that cannot be blocked.  I have a very vague recollection of reading something like that but I can't make a context connection.

I don't know if it holds true to all Panasonic phones with 250 number blocking but the model I have, KX-TRG350 series, has a setting to not even allow that one ring.

Was the "Police Assistance" call from your area code? 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.