Super Contributor

Re: Numeric keys - who uses them?

I use them all the time to input numbers into spreadsheets. I can't imagine not having a keypad!

When I'm just ""typing"" use the numbers on top row. When I'm entering data ... keypad.

Honored Contributor

I always use them, but then I don't use a laptop. I really have no use for a laptop as I just as soon use my wife's tablet. What they do with laptop keyboards? Makes no difference to me. I only open this thread because of the title, not knowing it was about laptops, but since I had already started my reply, l figured, why stop now?

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I use them but I cannot figure out why the keyboard on a calc. and phone are in opposite directions. The calc. starts with 7 and the on a phone it starts with 1.

Esteemed Contributor

I always use them ... if you don""t like them just don""t use them
Honored Contributor

On 4/4/2015 BOGOF said:

I use them but I cannot figure out why the keyboard on a calc. and phone are in opposite directions. The calc. starts with 7 and the on a phone it starts with 1.

because old rotary telephones started with the ""1"" at the top

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

On 4/4/2015 Desertdi said:
On 4/4/2015 BOGOF said:

So why do calcs start with 7 at the top? Thanks for replying.

Honored Contributor

On 4/4/2015 BOGOF said:
On 4/4/2015 Desertdi said:
On 4/4/2015 BOGOF said:

So why do calcs start with 7 at the top? Thanks for replying.

because accounting keypads have always been that way. (No....I don't know who invented these things.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I'd be lost without the numeric keypad. I use both, but mostly the keypad. I use the number keys at the top if I'm just typing a number or two in the midst of lots of word. But definitely the numeric keypad when I have several numbers to enter.

Honored Contributor

On 4/5/2015 juperier said:

I'd be lost without the numeric keypad. I use both, but mostly the keypad. I use the number keys at the top if I'm just typing a number or two in the midst of lots of word. But definitely the numeric keypad when I have several numbers to enter.

Me, too. I used to work in accounting, and did a lot of phone work. I didn't find it confusing.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

On 4/5/2015 Desertdi said:
On 4/5/2015 juperier said:

Me, too. I used to work in accounting, and did a lot of phone work. I didn't find it confusing.

Same here. I learned the number keys at the top of the keyboard at a work study job I had in college...typing pages of numbers...with seven carbon copies. Later jobs required extensive use of a calculator, phones and credit card terminals. My brain pretty much just adjusts to whichever order the numbers are in.