Trusted Contributor

The other shopping channel has a Kindle Fire HDX as today's special value. 8.9", Quad Core Tablet with live support,. 16GB for $299.95 or 32GB for $349.95

Is this a good price? Which would be better to have, the 16GB or the 32GB?

Thank you for your input and for sharing.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Regular Contributor

The HSN model appears to be the older model. If you go to Amazon and compare the specs for the model they are introducing they are not the same as the HSN model. The HSN model is a great price and if you don't care if you get the latest & the greatest it may be fine for you. I have the smaller 7"" size Kindle Fire HDX and I just love it. As for 16 GB vs 32 GB it depends on how you plan to use it.

Honored Contributor

I bought the small Kindle FireHDX last December when Amazon had them on sale. I didn't know my modem password so never added it to my system...until yesterday. I had to get a . New modem so got the password. I charged the Kindle overnight and just cranked it up. I don't like the small print and find it harder to use than my beloved iPad. It's a handy size to take with me and will fit in any purse.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I have the 32G Fire 8.9 HDX wireless. If I get too many books or movies, I can always store them in the cloud.

Honored Contributor
On 11/7/2014 kachina624 said:

I bought the small Kindle FireHDX last December when Amazon had them on sale. I didn't know my modem password so never added it to my system...until yesterday. I had to get a . New modem so got the password. I charged the Kindle overnight and just cranked it up. I don't like the small print and find it harder to use than my beloved iPad. It's a handy size to take with me and will fit in any purse.

Not any purse - check measurements if you want to carry it in your purse. It will fit in many, but not all. There's no way it would fit in the one I've been carrying recently and I have to change purses if I want to take it somewhere with me.

I have the 7" HDX and I love it. I mostly bought it to use for taking notes in seminars and workshops where I don't have room for a laptop and it's great for that. I also use it to play games, watch videos, and read. I use the HDX less for reading than anything because I have a Kindle Paperwhite, which is lighter to hold and easier on my eyes.

Ipads have a better selection of apps, so if you have your heart set on specific apps, you should make sure they've available for the Kindle before you buy. The HDX will be compatible with the new Amazon Echo, if that's something you're interested in.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't own a Kindle HDX, because I have other tablets. I would buy the latest product. Amazon has a payment plan for qualified customers.

I do own a Kindle e-reader. It is cute and nice, but I can not watch "Scandal" on my e-reader.

Honored Contributor
I have the Kindle HDX 7", and it'll fit in any purse I own, even in a case. When I got it set up, all my Amazon books and music on my iPad instantly appeared and the title, "Mary's 2nd Kindle" appeared at the top. It'll do to keep me entertained while waiting for something.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I really like the fact that the HSN model comes with a keyboard case. Is the new model on Amazon that much better than the one HSN is offering? I bought the 16GB 7"" HDX from QVC when it was a TSV in late September. Thought it would be a good starter tablet for my purposes. Wondering if the 8.9"" tablet is worth the extra money (+$130 base price). I do want to be able to carry a tablet around especially when travelling. Sorry but I'm not really familiar with all the details of these items so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/7/2014 JBinRWC said:

I really like the fact that the HSN model comes with a keyboard case. Is the new model on Amazon that much better than the one HSN is offering? I bought the 16GB 7" HDX from QVC when it was a TSV in late September. Thought it would be a good starter tablet for my purposes. Wondering if the 8.9" tablet is worth the extra money (+$130 base price). I do want to be able to carry a tablet around especially when travelling. Sorry but I'm not really familiar with all the details of these items so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle_Fire_HDX A chart comparison of the two products. Amazon has a payment plan on their site for the Kindle.

The biggest additional is a back facing 8MP camera, and a new version of Amazon OS 4.0 which is similar to Android Kit Kat.

Respected Contributor

If you are going to watch a lot of video and download it (for travel and vacation) you definitely want the 32GB.

It's an EXCELLENT price. It is $50 dollars less than a refurbished 8.9" --not even NEW but the SAME price as the 16GB refurb AND you get a keyboard.

Downside: It's entirely likely this is the previous generation of HDX. I see a pattern of the shopping websites selling at a good price, the previous generation Kindles when a new generation (with improved battery or other features) comes out. In this case. the most recent generation of HDX costs $379.

Nor do you get a case and keyboard. So this is a pretty sweet deal. I have a few Kindles (all small 7") and I'm tempted myself!

I use my Kindle as a traveling laptop and I have the smaller 7". The 8.9" is better if you are going to use it as a laptop AND do a lot of video.