Respected Contributor

How to back up photos from computer?

I need to back up my photos that live on my desktop computer. I watched the video on the 'ClickFree' product but it appears that they plug  the devise into a phone to back up phone photos on the demonstration. Would it work the same on a desktop computer? Do you have any suggestions on how to back up my photos other than the ClickFree? Thanks !

Honored Contributor

Re: How to back up photos from computer?

If you have a Mac, photos are backed up to I cloud on a regular basis. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

youtube

back up photos or copy photo from xxx computer to jumpdrive or usb

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

If you have a Mac, photos are backed up to I cloud on a regular basis. 

Only if that setting is turned on.  I have mine turned off, as I don't want the gazillion photos I have on my Macbook populated on my iPad.  I store my MacBook photos on an SD card.  The majority of my photos taken in the last 10 years have been taken with my iPad or my android phone, so I use Apple's and Google's cloud storage for those.  For the photos I still take with my camera, depending on the subject, I usually store them in both clouds as well as on my Macbook/SD card.

Honored Contributor

There are roughly a billion ways to back up photos. I mostly use cloud backups and I have Google (I pay $1.99 a month), Amazon (part of Prime), and Microsoft (part of my 360 subscription) all backing up my photos automatically. It's easy-peasy and largely foolproof. The odds of my computer and all three of them failing simultaneously are near zero.

The more manual way of doing it is to plug in an external hard drive, USB drive, etc., and dragging and dropping the photos you want to save. Then you have to find a safe place to store the backup and then remember to back up any new photos. It's just easier to let the online services do it all for you.

If you already have Amazon Prime just install their Amazon Photos app on your computer and let it find and save your photos. If you've got an Android phone you've already got Google's Photo app on the phone. You can also go to their site on your computer and let it find your photos. If you've got a Microsoft 360 subscription for Word, etc. then you've got One Drive and it'll find and save your photos for you.

Those services are so fast and efficient that I'll sometimes take a photo. look at it for a minute or two, and decide I don't want it and delete it. One or more of them will have likely already backed it up and be holding it in that short of a period of time and I'll find my deleted photo there. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda   @gardenman 

The fun thing anout the Amazon Photo app is that your backed up photos as well as videos can be used as "wallpaper/sceensaver" on a smart tv and/or Fire Stick if you have one.  Instructions are in either in the smart tv, the app or FS settings.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@gardenman ..Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  I do have Amazon Prime - I think I will get my DD to 'install the app' because I don't even know what that means - and save my photos in that manner.  Thank you again.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@gardenman ..Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  I do have Amazon Prime - I think I will get my DD to 'install the app' because I don't even know what that means - and save my photos in that manner.  Thank you again.

it is an easy thing to  do, and  you should try to do that for yourself  you can't mess anything up

youtube will help 

Esteemed Contributor

This thread reminded me that I have older photos on my desktop PC that need to be saved somewhere.  For years now all of my pictures have been taken by phone and automatically saved to the cloud but I tend to forget the older pics on the PC.  Thanks, @gardenman, for the suggestions!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I know I can backup photos from my Iphone onto a flash drive.

Question:  Can I have folders on the flash drive with names and put photos in particular folders? 

If so, how?  I don't want a separate app so I have complete control.