Respected Contributor

Computer Security (Like Norton)

Norton is 115.00 per year. I am not tech savvy but would like to know, what else can I use that is more of a one time expense so I don't have to pay this 115 a year on a fixed income.  Thank you for any help you can provide. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Computer Security (Like Norton)

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl - We've had Norton on our electronic devices for years now.  And just yesterday I had to use it to do a full-system scan to find and remove a malware threat.  (Like an idiot, I clicked on a link in an email supposedly from an acquaintance.  Supposed to be photos - only problem?  That person's account had been hacked.)

If you get Norton through their website it's ridiculously expensive.  But we buy it from places like BJs, Sam's or even places like Walmart and Best Buy, you can get it for a lot less.  The price depends on how many devices you want to protect, but usually around $30.

You just have to install it.  It will sign you up for auto renewals, but I always cancel that and contact them, when it's ready to be renewed, because they will match a price you find elsewhere.

You get an email ahead of time telling you when renewal is due.

Believe me, I was very glad I had it yesterday, when I realized what I'd done.

ETA:  Just a thought - if you want to buy direct from Norton (they download it to your machine), you can always do a chat with them, tell them the price you've found elsewhere.  Can't hurt.

Respected Contributor

I did not know this. I will check it out, I wonder if Costco has it. Can you purchase online or do you have to go to the actual store?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl - I just looked at various sites for Norton 360 and it looks like it's all digital delivery now, so it should be easy to install.

You do have to pay a yearly fee to renew, but for us, it's worth it.  Just don't pay Norton's inflated prices!

***  I'm looking at Best Buy and you can buy online.  I think every retailer sells online.

Looking at Costco they don't sell it.

Two years ago, I waited for Norton's Black Friday deal and got two years for $100.  I figured that was a reasonable deal as we have the "10 devices" version.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@SandGirl - I just looked at various sites for Norton 360 and it looks like it's all digital delivery now, so it should be easy to install.

You do have to pay a yearly fee to renew, but for us, it's worth it.  Just don't pay Norton's inflated prices!

***  I'm looking at Best Buy and you can buy online.  I think every retailer sells online.

Looking at Costco they don't sell it.

Two years ago, I waited for Norton's Black Friday deal and got two years for $100.  I figured that was a reasonable deal as we have the "10 devices" version.

@Venezia  THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Why didn't I know this Grrrr I see Costco has McAfee for 21.99 on sale right now. I am going to contact Norton Cust. service and tell them what I found and if they can't match then I will cancel. I love these boards, I have learned so much. I am sincerly grateful for your help and your time!!!Heart

Honored Contributor

Just make sure, when you call them, that you have a specific retailer and price to quote them.  They will check it out.

Good luck and let me know how you get on!

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl - Have you already signed up and paid the $115?  You only have a short time to get them to refund the difference (if they still do that).

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@SandGirl - Have you already signed up and paid the $115?  You only have a short time to get them to refund the difference (if they still do that).

It just automatically renews, it just renewed in January. I will call them and see if anything can be done, it's worth a try. All these prices are getting out of hand!! I just canceleld my Ring Cam as well, no more recording just the "live". Its all just becoming too much.

Honored Contributor

Definitely call them.  I think you have 30 days.

Check Walmart's price or somewhere similar.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl,

I'm not sure if you would want this but a chromebook has built in security. You no longer have to worry about buying expensive security from Norton, McAfee etc.

They almost do everything a regular computer does and cost less than $200. I've had one for the past 10 or 15 years and love it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"