Esteemed Contributor

Re: Computer Security (Like Norton)

@SandGirl wrote:

Norton is 115.00 per year. I am not tech savvy but would like to know, what else can I use that is more of a one time expense so I don't have to pay this 115 a year on a fixed income.  Thank you for any help you can provide. 

Malwarebytes.com has a standard Anti-virus and malware protection package for lower price than Norton.

There is a summary of most Anti-virus software plans posted on Wikipedia. 

Honored Contributor

We use Windows Defender which comes with Windows free.

We also have Malwarebytes. When we started using it it was free. They had a $25 lifetime deal we signed up for. I'm so glad we signed up or we would be paying what they charge today.  After the $25 free Lifetime deal ended they started charging $25 per month instead of it being free.

So far we still have the lifetime deal so don't have to pay.

Occasional Contributor

Check with your Internet provider as most provide Virus software for free.  It is part of their service.

Honored Contributor

@yyladybugyy wrote:

Check with your Internet provider as most provide Virus software for free.  It is part of their service.

We have Norton through Xfinity. I'm kind of disgusted with them right now because of their rising prices, but I do like having that security.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have used AVG for YEARS.  There is a free version.  It's what I use.  Also, I don't visit sites that tend to have viruses.  Nortons can be a resource hog and slow down your machine.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@SandGirl,

I'm not sure if you would want this but a chromebook has built in security. You no longer have to worry about buying expensive security from Norton, McAfee etc.

They almost do everything a regular computer does and cost less than $200. I've had one for the past 10 or 15 years and love it.

@on the bay  THANK YOU, I may have to look into this. Great suggestion!!

Respected Contributor

@yyladybugyy wrote:

I use Xfinity, I don't think they have Virus protection and if they did I am sure they would charge, their rates are ridiculous as it is.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I have used AVG for YEARS.  There is a free version.  It's what I use.  Also, I don't visit sites that tend to have viruses.  Nortons can be a resource hog and slow down your machine.

@monicakm What is AVG? Where do I find it?

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

Norton is 115.00 per year. I am not tech savvy but would like to know, what else can I use that is more of a one time expense so I don't have to pay this 115 a year on a fixed income.  Thank you for any help you can provide. 

@SandGirl 

I'm sorry, but I don't know the cost.  We left Norton Anti Virus a long time ago.  

DH just retired from being the area's top computer company.  His degrees are physics and chemistry.  He gets doctors out of the ransom viruses, around a few years ago.

All of his doctors and we use Malware bites.  Malware will stop you in your tracks if you run into an infected address.

If you shop or do banking though your computer, I would strongly caution you; your safety is compromised without Malware.

Respected Contributor

I got tired of the whole virus thing so a couple of years ago I bought  an apple iMac.  It's nice to not have to deal with that anymore.