Respected Contributor

Re: Computer Security (Like Norton)

@ECBG wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

Norton is 115.00 per year. I am not tech savvy but would like to know, what else can I use that is more of a one time expense so I don't have to pay this 115 a year on a fixed income.  Thank you for any help you can provide. 

@SandGirl 

I'm sorry, but I don't know the cost.  We left Norton Anti Virus a long time ago.  

DH just retired from being the area's top computer company.  His degrees are physics and chemistry.  He gets doctors out of the ransom viruses, around a few years ago.

All of his doctors and we use Malware bites.  Malware will stop you in your tracks if you run into an infected address.

If you shop or do banking though your computer, I would strongly caution you; your safety is compromised without Malware.

@ECBG  I wish I knew more about this stuff. What do I need to get for Malware bites? Where do I look for it and/or purchase it? Thank you for your help!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would google it.

If you have an issue or need it installed, look for your best computer company, not Best Buys "geek squad" which is just a bunch of computer kids doing easy stuff.

Super Contributor

@SaveTheTurtles wrote:

I got tired of the whole virus thing so a couple of years ago I bought  an apple iMac.  It's nice to not have to deal with that anymore.

Macs are NOT immune to malware. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@SandGirl - I just looked at various sites for Norton 360 and it looks like it's all digital delivery now, so it should be easy to install.

You do have to pay a yearly fee to renew, but for us, it's worth it.  Just don't pay Norton's inflated prices!

***  I'm looking at Best Buy and you can buy online.  I think every retailer sells online.

Looking at Costco they don't sell it.

Two years ago, I waited for Norton's Black Friday deal and got two years for $100.  I figured that was a reasonable deal as we have the "10 devices" version.

@Venezia  THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Why didn't I know this Grrrr I see Costco has McAfee for 21.99 on sale right now. I am going to contact Norton Cust. service and tell them what I found and if they can't match then I will cancel. I love these boards, I have learned so much. I am sincerly grateful for your help and your time!!!Heart

I am sure you are aware that Norton will give the first year at $21.99. The next year will be the price for 2025. You usually have to give the company your payment information. 

Trusted Contributor

@SandGirl   This is what I found when I did a search:

I would check the websites to see which one would fit your needs better.  

The Best Antivirus Software of 2024
  • Bitdefender: Best Overall.
  • Avira: Best Value for Your Money.
  • AVG: Best for Solo Entrepreneurs.
  • McAfee: Best for Multi-Device Protection.
  • Malwarebytes: Best for Real-Time Protection.
  • Avast: Best for Remote Workers.
  • F-Secure: Best for Plan Customization.
  • G DATA: Best for Comprehensive Features.

.  Antivirus and anti-malware are both effective. Antivirus is best at protecting against traditional forms of malware, while anti-malware guards against newer threats.

Bitdefenderis is the top Malwarebytes alternative since it has better malware detection scores, shorter scanning time and inclues useful additional security features.

Respected Contributor

I have an iMac but still have to have anti-virus protection; why do you no longer need it?

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23, Mac computers do not need any sort of antivirus or cleaning software. Anti-virus and similar types of software can cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is worse with these types of Apps installed.

In addition, Mac computers cannot get any traditional "viruses". The only area of concern is some malware, mostly adware, and it's easily avoidable. Do not install apps from unknown sources, and you'll be safe!

Super Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Trailrun23, Mac computers do not need any sort of antivirus or cleaning software. Anti-virus and similar types of software can cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is worse with these types of Apps installed.

In addition, Mac computers cannot get any traditional "viruses". The only area of concern is some malware, mostly adware, and it's easily avoidable. Do not install apps from unknown sources, and you'll be safe!

This information is incorrect.  Please don't believe Macs are immune to viruses.  They aren't and need protection against the "bad guys". 

Respected Contributor

@gadgetgal613 really? Would love to read sources for your information that aren't directly put out by anti-virus companies. Macs can and do get malware often because people aren't careful on what they click.

Super Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@gadgetgal613 really? Would love to read sources for your information that aren't directly put out by anti-virus companies. Macs can and do get malware often because people aren't careful on what they click.

Why don't you provide your sources first?