Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

if a bismark looks like this (from what you have described), we call them logs or long johns...... they can be topped, filled, or topped and filled.

maple bacon log.jpeg

Same here -- long filled are referred to as Long Johns, round are bismarks.  Except, long custard filled with chocolate frosting are eclaires.  So confusing but wouldn't turn any of them down Smiley Wink

To me a donut is round with a hole - cake like or raised but always deep fried.  A sweet roll is more like a sweet bread dough with a filling and glaze.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in NY & NJ now live in PA and never heard of a Bismark or long John. ...but you're all making me hungry!

A new donut shop opened a few weeks ago in my local shopping center.  It's call Factory Donuts and they are freshly made to order...they are so good when still warm!! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: what do you call it?

[ Edited ]

If you ever get to,  Portland, OR, Do the tourist thing, and hit Voo Doo Doughnut 🍩🍩To get the full Voo Doo effect, go to the downtown location. It’s tiny and you’ll stand in line to get in, but making doughnut friends, in line, is part of the experience 🍩

As for myself, nothing exotic, just a really good Maple Bar. That calls my name!  

Google Voo Doo, for more info. It’s fun and funky, and the doughnuts are good. 

Trusted Contributor

B9ABA62F-3D63-40D9-9711-180F6F73E4F7.jpegThis Voo Doo is called Gay Bar - Hey it’s Portland 😉

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

I've never heard of a bismark and judging from the picture, I have no interest in one.   What on earth is that green stuff?

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@sunshine45 

I've never heard of a bismark and judging from the picture, I have no interest in one.   What on earth is that green stuff?

@Bridgegal 

maybe the lighting on that pic is bad.

LOL, the pic i posted is a maple bacon log aka maple bacon long john aka maple bacon stick.

yeast donut, maple glaze, topped with crispy bacon. sometimes they will have a cream inside, but i like mine with nothing in the middle.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

"Butterhorn" was the term I grew up using for the round Danish pastries.  It is my preference to have with morning coffee, warmed up with a melted pat of butter on top.

A favorite childhood memory is my dad heating one up for me with a cup of hot cocoa.

Honored Contributor

I rarely ever eat any of that white flour stuff.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I rarely ever eat any of that white flour stuff.

————— 

I’m an RD, so, it’s a safe bet, that, a wide variety of pastries, aren’t on my recommended dining list 😉

But, life is short, and unless you have a specific health issue(s), indulging in the occasional, donut, etc., isn’t likely to be harmful. 

I suggest, learning, understanding, and practicing, the basics of a healthy, well balanced diet; then, your personal health permitting, 

indulge those wicked whims, in careful moderation🤪