Super Contributor

Re: update on my highly sensitive co-worker

On 3/21/2015 moonchilde said:
On 3/21/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:

I wonder how anyone who is "highly sensitive" stays on this forum.........! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

You have to have a pretty thick skin to hang out here........

Because, unlike most of what has been said here and on the other thread, being a HSP is NOT primarily about hurt feelings, being easily upset, and trying to get one's own way by claiming to be "highly sensitive." For a genuine HSP it is a lot of other things that have little to do with emotions. And like many disorders, conditions, etc. there are degrees - some are severely affected, some medium, and some not much.

And some who, like those who claim allergies or gluten intolerance, who are just making it up.

Super Contributor

I don't mean *everyone* who claims allergies or gluten intolerance. Just the few who like the attention.

Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2015 Clover29 said:
On 3/21/2015 moonchilde said:
On 3/21/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:

I wonder how anyone who is "highly sensitive" stays on this forum.........! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

You have to have a pretty thick skin to hang out here........

Because, unlike most of what has been said here and on the other thread, being a HSP is NOT primarily about hurt feelings, being easily upset, and trying to get one's own way by claiming to be "highly sensitive." For a genuine HSP it is a lot of other things that have little to do with emotions. And like many disorders, conditions, etc. there are degrees - some are severely affected, some medium, and some not much.

And some who, like those who claim allergies or gluten intolerance, who are just making it up.

No doubt there are. Condition of the month. It just s u c k s that their behavior casts a very negative light on those who actually have the neurologic disorder/condition, and encourages people to think any and all who have the condition would be the same as they are.

I don't actually know HSP's who even mention it, let alone talk about it conversationally, to anyone but other HSPs and their immediate family.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2015 Pashmina said:

Why start this thread if you are not going to tell us what provoked this thread in the first place. And yes I read the other thread but that still doesn't explain why you are shaking or calling your union rep.

I have to agree with you. All we've been told is that a co-worker who had an office to herself now has to accommodate the OP, upsetting to anyone sensitive or not. The OP was given a book to explain the co-workers highly sensitive nature. Nothing more. No examples of what the co-worker has done to upset the OP.

Why did she even post the thread if she wasn't going to explain the situation?

Now we are given an update that the OP is so upset, not a clue about what, that she is going to her union with her complaint which is still a mystery.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/21/2015 occasional rain said:
On 3/21/2015 Pashmina said:

Why start this thread if you are not going to tell us what provoked this thread in the first place. And yes I read the other thread but that still doesn't explain why you are shaking or calling your union rep.

I have to agree with you. All we've been told is that a co-worker who had an office to herself now has to accommodate the OP, upsetting to anyone sensitive or not. The OP was given a book to explain the co-workers highly sensitive nature. Nothing more. No examples of what the co-worker has done to upset the OP.

Why did she even post the thread if she wasn't going to explain the situation?

Now we are given an update that the OP is so upset, not a clue about what, that she is going to her union with her complaint which is still a mystery.

For all we know, the o/p is the "sensitive" one.

Respected Contributor

Let's not jump on the OP. Maybe she can't go into details about her job because it might be against protocol and she might be fired. Perhaps she came here because she wanted a bit of comfort and encouragement.

"Then why did the OP even bother to post anything if it's against her job's protocol?!"

Don't know, don't care.

Now it seems all people care about are the juicy details and wondering why she hasn't reported back with it. This sounds like a difficult work situation that the OP is trying her best to work through. Let's not verbally pile on her because her co-worker has the disorder or whatever it's called the OP doesn't.

Let's just wish her well and hope things smooth out. Because now, this thread isn't even about the OP's situation anymore. And no, I'm not scolding anyone or trying to have a holier-than-though attitude, so please don't take things the wrong way. And no, I'm not this mean puppy-kicking ogre who doesn't care about people with mental disabilities, so please do not twist my words.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

This thread is sooooo unravelled it's pathetic....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

On 3/21/2015 Plaid Pants said:

If someone flips out over a friendly tap on the shoulder, what do they do when someone accidentally bumps in to them? Have a melt-down?

There is nothing wrong with a friendly "excuse me" tap.

That's not invading someones "personal space".

I'll even put my hand on someones back, to let them know that I am behind them.

Horrors!

Have me arrested!

Okay, that is just wrong and inappropriate in the work place. If you want to let someone know you are behind them, why don't you just tell them that???

Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2015 NC Bandwagon said:

Let's not jump on the OP. Maybe she can't go into details about her job because it might be against protocol and she might be fired. Perhaps she came here because she wanted a bit of comfort and encouragement.

"Then why did the OP even bother to post anything if it's against her job's protocol?!"

Don't know, don't care.

Now it seems all people care about are the juicy details and wondering why she hasn't reported back with it. This sounds like a difficult work situation that the OP is trying her best to work through. Let's not verbally pile on her because her co-worker has the disorder or whatever it's called the OP doesn't.

Let's just wish her well and hope things smooth out. Because now, this thread isn't even about the OP's situation anymore. And no, I'm not scolding anyone or trying to have a holier-than-though attitude, so please don't take things the wrong way. And no, I'm not this mean puppy-kicking ogre who doesn't care about people with mental disabilities, so please do not twist my words.

Oh dear lord.....

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/21/2015 JJ said:
On 3/21/2015 Plaid Pants said:

If someone flips out over a friendly tap on the shoulder, what do they do when someone accidentally bumps in to them? Have a melt-down?

There is nothing wrong with a friendly "excuse me" tap.

That's not invading someones "personal space".

I'll even put my hand on someones back, to let them know that I am behind them.

Horrors!

Have me arrested!

Okay, that is just wrong and inappropriate in the work place. If you want to let someone know you are behind them, why don't you just tell them that???

</ First, my hand is up by the shoulders, in addition to my saying that I am behind them. Second, no one has complained. You would think that if someone had a problem with people touching them, they would say something. Wouldn't that be the adult and logical thing to do? There is nothing wrong with a tap, or a hand on shoulder. Horror of horrors, we even hug each other where I work. It's called being friendly. I like it. It's nice.