Trusted Contributor

I just left a post about panera and how they ask up front for a tip. Well, went to get a frozen yogurt today. I walked in, I  took my own cup, i filled it with yogurt and walked to the register to pay......i put it on the scale and weighed it, the girl rang it up and on my screen it asked if I  would like to leave a tip!!!???/ it even gave me percentage choice's... really ! I checked the "no " box and payed. the girl kept looking at me as i was leaving with a straight face, not very happy. Another place that i will not go to i guess. is this going on everywhere now days ?

Honored Contributor

Re: tipping trends nowdays...

@dogsx3 wrote:

I just left a post about panera and how they ask up front for a tip. Well, went to get a frozen yogurt today. I walked in, I  took my own cup, i filled it with yogurt and walked to the register to pay......i put it on the scale and weighed it, the girl rang it up and on my screen it asked if I  would like to leave a tip!!!???/ it even gave me percentage choice's... really ! I checked the "no " box and payed. the girl kept looking at me as i was leaving with a straight face, not very happy. Another place that i will not go to i guess. is this going on everywhere now days ?

I've never heard of someone outright asking for a tip let alone showing tipping categories.

Just a guess, but I think it must be the fault of the owner who doesn't want to pay a decent wage.  With that suggested list, I doubt the workers came up with the idea.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@dogsx3 wrote:

I've never heard of someone outright asking for a tip let alone showing tipping categories.

Just a guess, but I think it must be the fault of the owner who doesn't want to pay a decent wage.  With that suggested list, I doubt the workers came up with the idea.

It showed on the screen  if i would like to leave a tip and gave me percentages, like panera, only showed more percentages boxes.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't let little things like that bother me.

Just because they ask for a tip, doesn't mean that I have to give one, or mean that I won't go back.

If I like the food, and price, I will most likely go back, regardless if I pAid the tip or not.

Respected Contributor

I think it's built into the software or system, like Square. You're free to say no, just like I say no whenever a cashier or system asks me if I want to add a donation to my order.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm just not sure I think the consumer should be asked to make up the difference when the owner or whoever doesn't want to pay minimum wage.

I don't eat out that much. There are two restaurants that we love. One is about 45 min away, the other is an hour away. I always leave a good tip at those places. We have never gotten bad service or bad food.

These little fast food places, or yogurt places, having a tip jar just seems like of odd to me.

Trusted Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

I think it's built into the software or system, like Square. You're free to say no, just like I say no whenever a cashier or system asks me if I want to add a donation to my order.

I did check the no box, but she gave me such a look. I already paid 6.00 for it and served myself, no way was i gonna give her a tip for just standing there and ringing the register. just felt uncomfortable.

Trusted Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I don't let little things like that bother me.

Just because they ask for a tip, doesn't mean that I have to give one, or mean that I won't go back.

If I like the food, and price, I will most likely go back, regardless if I pAid the tip or not.

Wish i was more like you....

Respected Contributor

I noticed it a few weeks ago at Panera.   When the screen pops up, they said just to skip it.  I don't feel compelled to tip at Panera.   I just assumed it was part of the software package on the pin pad.   

Esteemed Contributor

I don't let things like this make me feel uncomfortable.

Tip jars don't bother me.

I might toss a dollar in.

I'm not going to notice one less dollar in my wallet.