Honored Contributor

Re: teal pumpkin and food allergies

I think it's a wonderful idea. Set your treat holder (with different goodies)by the teal pumpkin (away from the regular candy). The parents would still have to direct you to which bowl or cauldron, but this allows a child to enjoy some of the fun of Halloween. We have a different bowl for the babies that visit us, so why not one for children with allergies? They could all be in the same family. They get to show off their costumes and have a little fun.

By the way, there are plenty of houses that don't give candy to anyone, because they don't believe in it so they are already giving away crayons, pencils and small items. Times have changed as well as treats and children.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

Our dentist office "buys" the candy from the kids the week after Halloween. The practice pays 1.00 per pound. I think they get "extra $" if they show up in a costume to "sell" their candy. And matches the 1.00 for 1.00 per pound with a donation to Wounded Warriors. I don't know what they do with the candy they "buy". It is a rather large practice . . . with many dentists and several locations . . . and they are the area hockey leagues dentist(s). So I'd imagine they "buy" a decent amount of candy. I doubt they'd take it on their Smile Mile mission trips since they are trying to promote good dental health, perhaps they just toss it? I don't know.

Honored Contributor

Qwacker ... they may send it to the soldiers overseas. I know ours does.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a cute idea. Especially if you don't get a whole trainload of beggers (that's what we used to call them...remember beggers night?).

Anyway when my dd was on a VERY restricted diet in which she could have absolutely positively no sugar EVER we used to let her go trick or treating and then would buy her candy from her so that she could get something else she wanted. She got to have the begging experience and there was no harm to her. She did like the money too.

Respected Contributor

I don't get how this is a minority vs majority issue as more and more children are becoming infected due to allergic reactions to the additives that are put into everyday food. Be glad you don't have to deal with this as some parents do.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's going overboard.

Besides, I hate the color "Teal" anyway. Is this organization going to have a substitute color for all of us that don't care for teal??????? {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown