Honored Contributor

Re: "Prescription Addiction" tonight on CNN

@Mz iMac wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Speakiing of Empire, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE (did I say LOVE?) Terrence Howard.  Think I have ever since I saw Crash back whenever that was.

And THEN I saw him in Hustle and Flow and that is one of my favorite movies of all time.

@QueenDanceALot

He looks better in person! hitit.gif

I first saw him in the movie The Best Man.  Seen him in person many times.  He lives in Pa & has a summer place in Ocean City, NJ.

It's Hard out here for a Pimp!

Oh, man, I have to see Hustle and Flow again soon.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

After my last surgery I realized that I was way, way too happy to take the next pill.  The thought made me smile.  At least I had the presence of mind to empty the bottle down the disposal and out of temptation.  For the first time I understood how someone can get addicted. 

My daughter still laughs about how she came over and saw me looking at the TV and when she asked if I wanted her to turn it on I just thought for a while and said no I was fine watching it when it was off.  Scary stuff.

@Still Raining I so hear you on this.  After my dad passed we still had some leftover Valium (yep, he had that too) and I was going through a very stressful time and my mom had me take one of those.  The effect was stunning and life altering.  How could a pill make you feel so much better in minutes?  To say it took the edge off of things is an understatement.  It frightened me to the point that I never went near them again.

Honored Contributor

It's extremely unfortunate for recovering alcoholics and/or drug addicts to overcome their dependency of booze and street drugs---only to find themselves on doctor prescribed pain killers.  And sometimes the addictive behavior roars it's ugly head.

I've seen it happen dozens of times.

The horror and helplessness in the eyes of the family members who've breathed a sigh of relief for (up to) decades of their loved ones in recovery---only for them to become, once again, addicted.

It's a Catch 22.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The husband of one of my friends was getting opioids from the VA for chronic pain. Their house was broken into one day and his drugs were stolen when he was on another medical appt., they didn't have security cameras but the neighbor did. When the police asked friend and husband to view the tape to see if they could identify the burglar, they did! It was a female nurse from the VA, addicted to the painkillers. She knew they would be gone because she had been the one to schedule his appt that day.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

((((((mtc))))))

@QueenDanceALot thank you my friend Heart . . . ever since the details of Prince's passing have been made public it infuriates me even more.

I'll cut my dad's doctor some slack as he was old and was probably overwhelmed by the pharmaceutical SWAT team they sent out to sell this new wonder drug but after all these years it just disgusts me that clearly so many people are still losing their lives so early for no reason and so many doctor's are participating in this downfall.

I was beyond bummed when I heard Prince had passed but now that I know why he passed I am so, so angry as it was for no reason.  No reason at all except profit for big pharma and those they bribe to prescribe this stuff.

I have heard and read that doctors are not giving these painkillers out willy-nilly as they have in the past but it is still a HUGE problem.  And then, after people are dependent on them, they are cutting them off and sending them in desperation to heroin. 

Regarding Prince, I hear you.  I had to walk away from someone in my office yesterday who was making fun of Prince and his struggles with pain and opioid addiction.  It made me SO angry I was THIS CLOSE to throttling her.  I had to walk away.

And I thank you for bringing up the fact that it is clear that doctors are much more conscious of prescribing these types of drugs than they were in the past @QueenDanceALot.

My heart still breaks for those that perhaps were already well on their way to prescription addiction before doctors and pharmacies started to band together to try and keep people from doctor shopping.  My heart still breaks for them and their families.

Valued Contributor

I could write a book about the Hospital where I used to work, but instead I'll just copy and paste this  as  it was published in the newspaper.I remember this Dr.and he and his then-wife used to be in the same office.

-----------------------

Thursday, December 10, 2015

A Delaware County doctor convicted of using his practice to illegally sell prescriptions is heading to prison.

Sixty-one-year-old Dr. Lawrence Wean of Media, Pennsylvania, was sentenced to 10 to 20 years behind bars on Wednesday.
Wean was found guilty of 99 counts of unlawfully prescribing a controlled substance as well as insurance fraud.

Investigators say Wean charged $200-300 to write them.

Wean served the community for 27 years before his arrest last year.

Respected Contributor

It frightens me how many people are on the roads on opioids.  I was pumping gas and the kid beside me was falling asleep pumping, so he got in his car and fell asleep right there.

the store manager was banging on his window.

Valued Contributor

@winamac1 Hey!  I hope you are doing well!  I thought of you when I posted on this thread and I didn't want to offend you in any way.

Valued Contributor

@LilacTree  You are right, the commercials will remain as they are, apparently, very successful.  From a big picture perspective, they are also reinforcing the notion that pills are the answer to everything.

Three meds with your RA and more?  Good for you!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, there is much abuse for opioids.  It is awful. 

From another perspective, what about the ones who are truly in horrible pain and need relief?  My mother had nine spine surgeries, the last leaving her with severe pain for the remainder of her life.  She tried every, single thing out there, from biofeedback, PT, steroid epidurals and more.  She was under Pain Clinic management, which was under heavy scrutiny from the DEA.