Honored Contributor

Re: "Prescription Addiction" tonight on CNN

If it's about the over prescribing of narcotics and pain meds; I'll watch.  There's a national crisis revolving around that.  As for prescription drugs in general; I'm on 5 rx meds myself and I thank God and science every single day for those medications.  At best, I would be a pain wracked disabled woman without them;  at worst, I would be dead from a stroke or heart attack.  Either way, I would not have the life I have now.   I won't be hopping on that "I stay away from prescription drugs" bandwagon......I don't want to go where that would take me.

Honored Contributor

Speakiing of Empire, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE (did I say LOVE?) Terrence Howard.  Think I have ever since I saw Crash back whenever that was.

And THEN I saw him in Hustle and Flow and that is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Esteemed Contributor

I just ran across this article from Scientific Amercan, published yesterday, on opioid addiction. Excellent artcle before watching the show tonight. Very readable for the general public. And VERY interesting.

Scientific American Blog on Opioid Addiction

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I assume this is about addictive pain pills and I guess there are some addictive anti-anxiety and/or anti-depression pills.

I didn't think this was about the pills doctors prescribe to patients for lowering cholestreral, blood pressure, etc.  without suggesting change in diet and exercise.

Both are problems, but the pills that make you loopy and you can become addicted very easily to me are the bigger problem.

Doctors are supposedly being even more scrutinized for giving out prescriptions for the pain pills and freely refilling them.  But I don't know how every doctor can be 'audited'-- for lack of better word.

It's a problem.

I understand, that even though you have a valid prescription in your name, if you are involved in an accident, you can be charged for drugged driving.  As you should be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

If it's about the over prescribing of narcotics and pain meds; I'll watch.  There's a national crisis revolving around that.  As for prescription drugs in general; I'm on 5 rx meds myself and I thank God and science every single day for those medications.  At best, I would be a pain wracked disabled woman without them;  at worst, I would be dead from a stroke or heart attack.  Either way, I would not have the life I have now.   I won't be hopping on that "I stay away from prescription drugs" bandwagon......I don't want to go where that would take me.

@chrystaltree I am more and I repeat more than happy with the people that have been able to live a more normal life with these new medications but my personal family experience reflects a much different and painful experience.

My dad was an honored and  decorated WWII veteran who would have lost his left arm if some (thank God!) smarty pants young doctor hadn't stepped in and adapted a new technique of grafting my dad's arm to the blood vessels in his chest to give his injured arm a chance to grow and heal.  If that young doctor hadn't stepped in my dad would have returned home without an arm and let me tell you my dad made the most of what he had.

He also sufferered from other ailments primarily horrible and crippling RA.  It was a constant challenge but was kept under control with Tylenol 3 with codeine but after many years it just wasn't working.

Unfortuntately the combination of my dad being in so much pain and his very elderly doctor who no longer knew what to do (he should have retired years before but my parents wouldn't go anywhere else) prescribed Percodan which was the frontrunner to Percocet and that is when our nightmare began.

At first it was great.  My dad was pain free, he was able to resume normal activities and everyone was happy but as the drug took hold he became what I know now to be an addict (please know we didn't even have alcohol in the house so we were totally clueless as to what was happening).  I remember going with my mom to the pharmacy with our forms and being told it was too soon and then going home and trying to reason with what I  know now know to be my Percodan addicted father.  The last seven days of that prescription were the longest of our lives.

It was an never ending spiral of trying to keep my dad away from his pills and waiting until it was a reasonable time to try and get the prescription refilled.  It was a horrifying and debilitating experience.

My dad eventually passed from many issues that were probably masked by the Percodan but the guilt that we both felt impacted our relationship for a very long time.  I to this day feel like my dad was an experiment for big pharma and ergo I refuse to take any drugs unless I absolultely have to as between big pharma and the FDA, there (to me) is such collusion that I would rather pass a few years early than suffer what my dad went through.  I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Shame on the entire industry that follows profits over actual health benefits.

Honored Contributor

((((((mtc))))))

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe, I'm so sorry. 

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Speakiing of Empire, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE (did I say LOVE?) Terrence Howard.  Think I have ever since I saw Crash back whenever that was.

And THEN I saw him in Hustle and Flow and that is one of my favorite movies of all time.

@QueenDanceALot

He looks better in person! hitit.gif

I first saw him in the movie The Best Man.  Seen him in person many times.  He lives in Pa & has a summer place in Ocean City, NJ.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am afraid that a friend of mine is addicted to opioids after being prescribed them after a surgery.  He's been taking them WAY too long now.  And combines them with alcohol.  I think his wife is in total denial that this is happening.

It is SO common.  I work very close (physical proximity) to a very sketchy clinic, where addicts are given legal class 3 narcotics to get off illegaly obtained opioids (which they had originally gotten legally through prescription).  There was a big expose in our local news about it.  The clinics are all over the place and they are always on the move.

This has been a HUGE contributor to the rise in heroin addiction.  When the addicts can't get their opioids any longer, they go for the cheap and easily available heroin.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

He looks better in person! hitit.gif

I first saw him in the movie The Best Man.  Seen him in person many times.  He lives in Pa & has a summer place in Ocean City, NJ.

I know he has a rather violent history with women, but I think he's SO attractive and he's a FABULOUS actor!.

I'd follow him around Ocean City Smiley Happy