Respected Contributor

Re: Working Extra Hard Isn't Worth It

On 6/5/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 6/5/2014 NoelSeven said:

I have an example of my own to share, not work, but church. A small group of us were away at a conference, planning the future of the church, a large church. Overcoming one very big obstacle seemed easy to me, so I presented my outline plan in detail. The head of the committee said it would never work, drop the conversation and move on.

I was really thrown since it was a great idea. Back to the larger meeting, he stood up and announced the problem had been solved, he'd had a brilliant idea to do such and such. MY idea.

I talked to the minister who'd been in the meeting with us, I was flabbergasted. He told me that was common in that guy's profession, that guy had never had a clever idea that he knew of, he lived off the ideas of others, presenting them as his.

A good reason to keep his best and brightest under him, not promoted.

I have a question............what was your main concern, your main priority in attending this meeting........the growth of your church or you getting credit for what you perceived to be a "brilliant idea"?..........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

So, you should just do the minimum required, call in sick every Friday and cash your check? It's true that the more you do, the more they expect. It's also true that they usually don't know when you are giving 110%. But..you know. And that's all that matters. I've always been one of the office superstars, I've alwAys been the go to person. I do things that no one even knows about. And it's okay. Because I do it for ME. That's just how I'm made. My self esteem comes from inside. And I'm a professional.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe that. Just like anything else, it DEPENDS. My husband works as a boss in manufacturing for a major company that makes AMERICAN products and he is rewarded all the time in many ways, for going above and beyond. So are all the employees that work there. My friend owns her own small business and treats her workers like royalty. My family had family businesses years ago and treated everyone well too. Yes Im aware some companies don't care but Id like to believe most admire hard work.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

On 6/5/2014 blackbirdraven said:

I have an example of my own to share, not work, but church. A small group of us were away at a conference, planning the future of the church, a large church. Overcoming one very big obstacle seemed easy to me, so I presented my outline plan in detail. The head of the committee said it would never work, drop the conversation and move on.

I was really thrown since it was a great idea. Back to the larger meeting, he stood up and announced the problem had been solved, he'd had a brilliant idea to do such and such. MY idea.

I talked to the minister who'd been in the meeting with us, I was flabbergasted. He told me that was common in that guy's profession, that guy had never had a clever idea that he knew of, he lived off the ideas of others, presenting them as his.

I have a question............what was your main concern, your main priority in attending this meeting........the growth of your church or you getting credit for what you perceived to be a "brilliant idea"?..........................................raven

Noel said she thought it was a great idea, the guy who stole it called it a brilliant idea. Re-read her post.

We all like recognition for our ideas, don't we? As often as you've posted about your achievements on this very board, it seems to be true for you.

What that guy did to her was wrong, period. If she left her church or never participated again, you'd have a point. If not, you don't, because obviously her church came and comes first.

Honored Contributor

On 6/5/2014 reese2 said:

Noel said she thought it was a great idea, the guy who stole it called it a brilliant idea. Re-read her post.

We all like recognition for our ideas, don't we? As often as you've posted about your achievements on this very board, it seems to be true for you.

What that guy did to her was wrong, period. If she left her church or never participated again, you'd have a point. If not, you don't, because obviously her church came and comes first.

Thank you, reese, and you certainly made a good point. BBR is constantly bragging about her accomplishments and how much money she made from designing. Just recently, she said she made somewhere around 25 thou on one job. And then of course, there was the ongoing report on painting a sign...

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

WHOA! The person who stole her idea shouldn't be talking for the Church and the pastor or minister letting someone like this continue these actions is no better. what else will the person leading the church let others get away with? his priorities aren't in order and the teachings of this church haven't done this guy a bit of good.

Honored Contributor

On 6/5/2014 herekitty_kitty said:

WHOA! The person who stole her idea shouldn't be talking for the Church and the pastor or minister letting someone like this continue these actions is no better. what else will the person leading the church let others get away with? his priorities aren't in order and the teachings of this church haven't done this guy a bit of good.

You've made a good point!

Just to be clear, I told the story to show that it's pretty common for the boss to take credit for someone else's work, and it becomes a reason not to back that employee for promotion.

Contributor

This country was built on hard work & sacrifice. I'm so sick of this sort of crud- don't play to win, everyone's a winner, everyone gets a trophy, etc. Bologna....play to WIN, strive to be the best you can be, & never give up. There are winners & losers in life- that's just a fact. Get over it, pick yourself up, & get on with it!

WORK HARD- we aren't always rewarded, but so what? At least you can have pride knowing you are trying your best!

Honored Contributor

On 6/5/2014 KelBell said:

This country was built on hard work & sacrifice. I'm so sick of this sort of crud- don't play to win, everyone's a winner, everyone gets a trophy, etc. Bologna....play to WIN, strive to be the best you can be, & never give up. There are winners & losers in life- that's just a fact. Get over it, pick yourself up, & get on with it!

WORK HARD- we aren't always rewarded, but so what? At least you can have pride knowing you are trying your best!

No one is suggesting we shouldn't work hard.

If you want to be a winner in life, just working hard doesn't always cut it. The trick is: learn to play the game and be good at it.

It's quite possible to do that AND maintain your values.

Respected Contributor

On 6/5/2014 reese2 said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Well said, Reese.

Hi Noel {#emotions_dlg.wub}