Honored Contributor

Why are Words Being Replaced With Initials Now?

It is getting very tiresome to hear and see so many initials used now rather than names, nouns, products and places' names.

If it is worthy of discussion, if you are trying to communicate something, please let everyone know.  Don't just direct it to a few of your "in" crowd who might puzzle out the thought.  And sometimes simply rude cutting out people not in the know.

I hear it on the news, especially in sports.  No, I don't know the name of the player or the venue or arena.  Say the name, and tell me what building your are talking about. If it is worth being said or broadcast, it is worth saying the name. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why are Words Being Replaced With Initials Now?

What, when, where and why seem to have disappeared from the English language today!

Some of this is from the younger generation texting with their thumbs and using "short cuts" to save time?

I even find this a lot in printed articles.  Lots of information...but no what, when, where and why!

Honored Contributor

Please give us a list of examples.  I'm probably not  the only one who is confused by your post.

Respected Contributor

And if one asks what the initials stand for, look out!  You will be chastised for it!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Please give us a list of examples.  I'm probably not  the only one who is confused by your post.

It's a long list.  Most of us know LOL, BTW, SMH but a poster started a topic "OAP"???  What's OAP???  Unless I know the context of these initials, and sometimes even then, I'm clueless as to what's being referred to.  Spell out the entire name at least initially.

Completely agree with the OP.

Super Contributor

As far as initials on this forum, drives me nuts when posters refer to hosts using only their initials. Just mention the host's name.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree. Then it isn't a problem for you.  So be happy about that!  I wish I could say the same.  

Trusted Contributor

Acronyms are the way of life now. 

Honored Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

Acronyms are the way of life now. 

@Tori3569 NNITWOL.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50  On Air Personality 

Or it could be Old Age Pensioner (which is better than Old Fogey🤪)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh