Honored Contributor

Re: Who in your family takes care of the bills?

We each have our own accounts and joint accounts and we both pay bills.  Him some, me some.  I paid off the first house!  Back in the day it was important for a woman to establish credit.  

It isn't something we "decided" to do, just worked out that we both pay some of the bills.  Never was a big deal.

Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

I guess I am the odd one out.  He has his account and his money is his.  I pay my own bills.  I have never had access to his account(s).  I have no idea how much he earns.  He does not share that information.  It's been that way for 25 years. 

This is the man who scares you, who makes you feel anxious about making the smallest mistake? Controlling money and non-disclosure are additional signs of a classic abuser. The more I hear about your husband, the more I worry for you.

Respected Contributor

Sharing is the way it should be ... that's my thought.  However, that only works if both people are on the same page.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

@Zita, I agree.  Our entire relationship has been dangerous to my health and the marriage in general. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

I email him the total amount for the bills that have come in each week, he puts the money in my checking account, and I process the payments.  

We pay them as they come in so they are always paid 2-3 weeks before they are due.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I am guessing many of the women do.  I have always done the financial part of our marriage, and I do enjoy it.  Because of my DH's unexpected illness and his early retirement, I have gotten very very specific with our budget (had to). I guess that is what prompted this question-I just finished bills for this second part of the month.  I account for almost every penny.

I hope your Dh is doing ok. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I spend and he pays the bills.

As it should be.

Frequent Contributor

My husband and I share this responsibility.  He pays mortgage, utilities etc and I pay my student loan, groceries, gas, clothing and home items. 

Contributor

I pay the bills. He knows what they are but really doesn't want to be bothered with them.

Honored Contributor

I've always paid our personal bills.