Valued Contributor

Who in your family takes care of the bills?

I am guessing many of the women do.  I have always done the financial part of our marriage, and I do enjoy it.  Because of my DH's unexpected illness and his early retirement, I have gotten very very specific with our budget (had to). I guess that is what prompted this question-I just finished bills for this second part of the month.  I account for almost every penny.

Valued Contributor

Re: Who in your family takes care of the bills?

I do. I always have.

Honored Contributor

I do and always have.

My husband is fine with depositing his check and letting me handle it. He has everything he needs, and much of what he wants, so he says it's all good.

We do talk about big purchases, whether necessary or just 'wants' before we do them, but I'm the one that knows how we will pay for them or what kind of a budget we have for them.

My mom let my dad do all the financial things and when he died, she had never even written a check. It was quite traumatic for her. I learned I'd better have more skills than that, so I started early earning and handling my own money.

Respected Contributor

I do it, but poorly.  My husband the accountant said I should have a basic idea of what it is all about and he is right.  My resolution is to tighten up this year.  Too sloppy.

Esteemed Contributor

We both do. Since marrying 9 years ago (2nd marriage for both of us), we both kept the bank accounts we had (and added each other to them). We each pay certain bills. Yes we write bills and still mail them out (of 2 different accounts). I know that sounds odd but it works for us! We both have monthly budgets we make on our own also out of our different accounts/bills.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I guess I am the odd one out.  He has his account and his money is his.  I pay my own bills.  I have never had access to his account(s).  I have no idea how much he earns.  He does not share that information.  It's been that way for 25 years. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Its my responsibility to take care of bills. And I also think that women can manage these kind of things very efficiently.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always did it.  I handed that "pill" over to him about ten years ago.

I will add that my clothes and cosmetics come out of my account because I enjoy working (and hope to be part of the spring hire), but I still get my retirement from teaching.

Respected Contributor

I took care of the checkbook in the early years, but he never liked my method.  He is much better at it, so took over the last twenty years.

Honored Contributor

My only alternative would  be to have Kitty do it......................    (I'm OLD and don't mess with that "auto-pay" stuff)

♥Surface of the Sun♥