Esteemed Contributor

Re: While Getting a Coffee at McDonald's Yesterday....

@ciao_bella wrote:

Yesterday afternoon while out doing some errands, I felt a slight headache coming on.  To avoid a full blown migraine, I decided to pull up to the closest fast food drive up window to order a coffee hoping the caffeine would help.

There was one car ahead of me and suddenly, I saw the driver in that car get handed an ice cream cone.  It appeared she said something to the cashier but I had the a/c on in the car and didn't hear anything.  The woman took the ice cream cone from the drive up cashier and purposely threw the ice cream cone on the ground and gunned the gas pedal and drove away like a maniac.  

As I pulled up to the window, I said, 'wow, that lady threw her cone on the ground and I tried not to drive on it when pulling up'.   The cashier said, the woman was livid because she thought the person should have had gloves on.   The cashier continued saying, we are not required to wear gloves because we are required to properly wash our hands every hour.  She said they are trained in the proper way to wash hands.  

What do you think?  Hourly handwashing?  Do you think wearing gloves would be the answer or would wearing gloves be as dirty or dirtier than not wearing them.  Your thoughts.

Well, now that I think abt it , I don't remember how an ice cream cone was served at Dairy Queen .  I have like another poster seen the ice cream cone served in a paper sleeve .  Even though , the  Mickey D's staff wash their hands , how abt if they cough or wipe their noses in between handwashing and hand you food  that is not wrapped in paper ?  Boy, do I hate getting the flu and there are numerous viruses . I believe that McDonalds  is just trying to cut costs of the plastic gloves which add up.  Some people who wear the plastic gloves are not sanitary either if they wear the same gloves when handling raw meat/ eggs and then  handling cooked food to be wrapped  to sell.

Honored Contributor

Unless they are going to change gloves after every single task, what's the point of even wearing them...

Think about the dentist...they put the gloves on, put their hands in your mouth, pick up the pen, put their hands back in your mouth, open a drawer, adjust the over head light, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@coco14 

@coco14 wrote:

Unless the gloves are changed every single time a customer is waited on, they are a waste - I have watched deli people wear gloves, make a sandwich, take the money and then, still wearing the same pair of gloves, wait on the next customer.

This is when I tell them to please change their gloves before making my sandwich.   I  was put on notice once for not changing gloves and I was not handling food.  The health dept came in. 

Honored Contributor

There are procedures that any business that has food for sale or serves prepared food must follow.  These places are inspected and will do a surprise inspection if there is a complaint.

Some of the rules that I see see broken on a regular basis are food service workers wearing watches or bracelets, not wearing gloves to handle food, not washing hands before putting on clean gloves, not wearing a hat or a hair net...no beard net and having food service employees handle money.

If you handle money and must touch food, you are supposed to wash your hands, then put on gloves.  If you handle money with gloves on, those gloves are contaminated.

The lady who threw the ice cream was dramatic, but she was correct.  The cashier should not have touched the food.  A food server should have handed the ice cream to her while the cashier stepped  aside, or the ice cream cone should have been served with a covering so that the food wasn't touched by human hands. McD was out of compliance in this incidence.

These procedures are mandatory and enforced by a health inspector.  The manager was required to take classes and pass a test and have a document posted to show that.

Hou can see these rules posted on the Dept of Agriculture web site in most states. 

Honored Contributor

other than people preparing food in the back of the fast food restaurant, i cannot say i have ever seen those bagging the food, serving the food, and/or taking the money or credit cards wearing gloves......and it doesnt bother me at all.

our local baskin robbins, ritas, tcby, etc...... no one is wearing gloves to serve ice cream.

if the person was upset did she really have to create a tantrum? she could have just said i want my money back and you can keep the cone if she was that concerned.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I've seen people who handle money wearing gloves to protect their hands from the dirty money.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella   Was it the same person taking the money and giving out the food?  I know in some fast food drive throughs there are two separate windows.  The person taking the money is not touching the food.

Honored Contributor

new york state......

All employees involved with food preparation must wash their hands and exposed portions of their arms with soap and water. Thorough hand washing is done by vigorously rubbing together the surfaces of lathered hands and arms for at least 20 seconds followed by a thorough rinse with clean water. Use a single-service towel or hot air dryer to dry hands. No special soaps are needed.

Am I required to wear disposable sanitary gloves?

State law does not require gloves to be worn, but does require that ready-to-eat food be prepared and served without bare hand contact. Wearing disposable sanitary gloves is one of several acceptable ways to comply with this law.

How can I prepare or serve ready-to-eat food to avoid contact with my bare hands?

You may use any of the following to prepare or serve foods without bare hand contact:

• tongs;
  • forks & spoons;
  • deli paper;
  • disposable gloves;
  • waxed paper;
  • napkins;
  • spatulas.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I never eat the cone part unless it has a paper wrapping.I think hands that have handed food to others have come in contact with the ops hands at times.I don’t think either method as perfect but I think the customer was rude.She could have asked that they use a napkin to handle the cone.

Honored Contributor

I must admit I have never ordered or even tried McDonald's ice cream.  Just not the place I want to go for any ice cream calories.  But they do advertise their cones with sleeves.

Related image

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."