Esteemed Contributor

Re: While Getting a Coffee at McDonald's Yesterday....

So she decided to handle the situation with a tantrum? That seems to be worse than the original sin.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

There are procedures that any business that has food for sale or serves prepared food must follow.  These places are inspected and will do a surprise inspection if there is a complaint.

Some of the rules that I see see broken on a regular basis are food service workers wearing watches or bracelets, not wearing gloves to handle food, not washing hands before putting on clean gloves, not wearing a hat or a hair net...no beard net and having food service employees handle money.

If you handle money and must touch food, you are supposed to wash your hands, then put on gloves.  If you handle money with gloves on, those gloves are contaminated.

The lady who threw the ice cream was dramatic, but she was correct.  The cashier should not have touched the food.  A food server should have handed the ice cream to her while the cashier stepped  aside, or the ice cream cone should have been served with a covering so that the food wasn't touched by human hands. McD was out of compliance in this incidence.

These procedures are mandatory and enforced by a health inspector.  The manager was required to take classes and pass a test and have a document posted to show that.

Hou can see these rules posted on the Dept of Agriculture web site in most states. 

No, the tantrum lady was NOT correct.

Throwing  the ice cream on the ground and squealing out.

Childish and wrong. She created an unsanitary, bug drawing mess that now has to be cleaned up.  

There are adult ways to handle this situation. 

Respected Contributor

I stop at McD often for coffee & every cone I see has a paper sleeve..if the cone I got didn't, I'd hand it back & politely ask for another. Way too many people think it's OK to act the fool anytime, anywhere for any reason instead of being reasonable.

Honored Contributor

She's just a know nothing cashier, why would you believe something that doesn't make any sense at all?  Generally, icecream cones have those paper sleeves so that the server doesn't touch the cone.  But in icream shops, the person scooping out the icecream and handing over the cone...always...has gloves on.  I woudn't eat a cone that someone handed to me with their bare hands either.  That hour hand wash thing is something a 3rd grader might say.  What?  People dont pick their noses or go to the bathroom or touch the dirty floor for an hour after washing their hands...LOL   

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

Money is filthy.  When I prepared bank deposits at my job, my hands would feel so grungy when I was done.....I immediately scrubbed them!

Workers who handle money should not have their hands touching customer food.  

I avoid drive-through windows...the few times I get fast food, I go inside.

The person who threw the cone on the ground was a Drama Queen.  He/she could have just refused to take it.....that would have been the more adult thing to do, if there was no paper strip on the cone and they were concerned.

It was the customer's dollar, she probably didn't want to hold up the drive up line and argue with some cashier over a $1.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Its hard to imagine us boomers, our parents, grandparents ever survived.

My grandma use to say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Working for me so far! Guess we are stronger than dirt. One thing that really bugs me is waitresses with looooong fingernails carrying my food, plate or glass! YUCK! Hey it's hard enough to keep my short nails clean underneath so imagining the "debris" under those claws makes my skin crawl.

Respected Contributor

most drive thru's now have 2 windows. one for taking money, and one for handing out the food. 

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella   They need to wear gloves when handling food like a cone etc.  What good is washing your hands every one hour if you use the bathroom during that time and do not wash your hands... or your nose is dripping... YUK

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

most drive thru's now have 2 windows. one for taking money, and one for handing out the food. 

@kittyloo   Yes, so do ours. I haven’t seen just the one window in a long time.

Respected Contributor

I'm another one who looks at the people handling money and food with the same gloves on.  I'd prefer that someone wash their hands thoroughly and regularly, and use something other than their hands to handle that food.  A different person should handle the money.