Honored Contributor

What is your favorite spice?

I like many  - tarragon with chicken - garlic with red meat - of course salt & pepper. Bay leaf in soups and stews, dill on veggies, I use a ton of Italian seasoning on all things Italian and also extra fresh basil. Lately a friend has gotten me using thyme on potatoes - so good, I never knew, and also herbs de provence - which has thyme in it is really good on potatoes. 

I am not a heavy spice user - actually I have a very light hand with them - but I'm always up to hearing what someone else may like to use in their cooking.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite spice?

Also - do you prefer to use butter or oil to cook? I am a dyed in the wool olive oil user or occasionally I use half butter half olive oil when I want the flavor of butter but not the saturated fat.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are heavy spice users and I have many favorites, so I will have to say salt because I use it frequently.

I have an entire tray of spices, herbs, honey, sauces, vinegars and oils on my kitchen counter. 

(herbs are in the window)

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Cloves and nutmeg.

Honored Contributor

I grow Rosemary, thyme and basil and use them frequently, especially Rosemary . I use olive oil for cooking and salad dressing, butter, almost never.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try thyme in Hungarian Goulash & over baked chicken.

Favorite spice? Garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary & cumin

I use depending on the recipe, olive oil or canola oil.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Also - do you prefer to use butter or oil to cook? I am a dyed in the wool olive oil user or occasionally I use half butter half olive oil when I want the flavor of butter but not the saturated fat.

Here's a tip I learned from Martha Stewart, use a pat of butter in your olive oil when frying and sauteing, it cuts down on "smoking."

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I'm a sucker for smoked paprika. It makes things look like they have that nice, crusty skin to it. Also LOVE cardamom too, it is spicy and sweet . I use both butter and olivie oil to cook with and sometimes both at once. Nice flavor.

Valued Contributor

Cinnamon and Cilantro

Honored Contributor

I use olive oil, sesame oil for Asian food (also considered a healthy oil).

Tarragon is an herb, but for spices I like turmeric and cumin, both very good for us.