@jaxs mom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Spices: cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, paprika, coriander, allspice

Herbs: tarragon, thyme, mint, cilantro, marjoram, greek oregano 

Of course I love aromatics like shallots, onions, ginger and garlic

@jaxs mom

I like your lists Smiley Happy

For herbs I like basil, rosemary, thyme and cilantro.

Edit to add rosemary.  I don't know why I didn't think of it, I grow it in the backyard.

We grow rosemary too. I don't use it a ton. I use my mint a lot though. I even have leeks growing this year. @Noel7 I grew lemongrass at my old house. 

@jaxs mom

I used to grow mint and several other herbs but it was daily work and soil in the city is the pits so I gave up.

At least rosemary thrives here.  When we used to grill every summer, I threw springs on with the meat, sometimes directly on the coals, it smells wonderful.

@Noel7 I'm surpised, mint loves shade and water. I would have thought it would grow great there. I grow mine in a big barrel because it's so invasive given the chance. I have to move it to a shady area in summer though it's so hot here. 

Rosemary is nice, we had a huge shrub of it at our old place, at least 3 ft wide. We mainly use it for lamb though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: What is your favorite spice?

Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and paprika.  I am not a fan of many spices, especially curry or anthing like that. 

For herbs, I use basil, cilantro, and rosemary the most.

I'm making lemon and garlic chicken for dinner tonight. 

Honored Contributor

Turmeric is also what causes mustard to be yellow. @jaxs mom.

I use turmeric in making certain Indian dishes too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Noel7 I wasn't being very technical but one mystery of life got solved -- where does turmeric come from? Woman Happy

LOL Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Spices: cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, paprika, coriander, allspice

Herbs: tarragon, thyme, mint, cilantro, marjoram, greek oregano 

Of course I love aromatics like shallots, onions, ginger and garlic

@jaxs mom

I like your lists Smiley Happy

For herbs I like basil, rosemary, thyme and cilantro.

Edit to add rosemary.  I don't know why I didn't think of it, I grow it in the backyard.

We grow rosemary too. I don't use it a ton. I use my mint a lot though. I even have leeks growing this year. @Noel7 I grew lemongrass at my old house. 

@jaxs mom

I used to grow mint and several other herbs but it was daily work and soil in the city is the pits so I gave up.

At least rosemary thrives here.  When we used to grill every summer, I threw springs on with the meat, sometimes directly on the coals, it smells wonderful.

@Noel7 I'm surpised, mint loves shade and water. I would have thought it would grow great there. I grow mine in a big barrel because it's so invasive given the chance. I have to move it to a shady area in summer though it's so hot here. 

Rosemary is nice, we had a huge shrub of it at our old place, at least 3 ft wide. We mainly use it for lamb though. 

@jaxs mom

I had it in a shady area next to a fence.  The soil is very sandy in much of the city, I imagine that's it but I'm not a gardening expert, I use @JustJazzmom for all questions Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Favorite spice?  Well let's see...cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, ginger, and cumin would be a good start.  lol 

Is sugar a spice?  Woman LOL Woman LOL  Woman LOL

Okay, so now I am hungry.  Guess it is time to think about supper!  lol

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rosemary is a perennial, likely to survive a winter provided it's not a prolonged cold snap.

When I make a Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster chicken, I take 4 rosemary sprigs and put 2 below the breast skin, and one sprig per chicken thigh under the skin. I use lemon juice, garlic powder and thyme and oregano over the entire chicken. Maybe enough canola oil to lightly cover the pan so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

ginger would be at the top of my list.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Rosemary is a perennial, likely to survive a winter provided it's not a prolonged cold snap.

When I make a Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster chicken, I take 4 rosemary sprigs and put 2 below the breast skin, and one spring per chicken thigh under the skin. I use lemon juice, garlic powder and thyme and oregano over the entire chicken. Maybe enough canola oil to lightly cover the pan so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

Yum!  I love lemon and rosemary together with chicken.  What time is supper?  I will bring a bottle of wine.  Woman LOL

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

Favorite spice?  Well let's see...cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, ginger, and cumin would be a good start.  lol 

Is sugar a spice?  Woman LOL Woman LOL  Woman LOL

Okay, so now I am hungry.  Guess it is time to think about supper!  lol

@pitdakota

Hi PD!

I never thought about sugar but I looked it up for you, it's a good question.  Here's what I found:

"Sugar is a fairly simple organic compound. Culinarily speaking, sugar is not a spice because it isn't derived from a seed, bark, or root. It's a processed extract from a sugar cane or sugar beet."