Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of this quote?

Would someone who is from the South( or anywhere else) clarify something for me. I am from the Midwest.

I was told recently that if you say "Bless your heart"...that is a total insult. True or not true? I think it is a nice little saying but...maybe not?

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld 

@wonderfulworld wrote:

Would someone who is from the South( or anywhere else) clarify something for me. I am from the Midwest.

I was told recently that if you say "Bless your heart"...that is a total insult. True or not true? I think it is a nice little saying but...maybe not?

South Carolina girl here! "Bless your heart" can be an insult, but can also be sympathetic...it's all in the tone of voice and context. I think only a Southerner may be able to tell the difference!

"Bless your heart" probably should be used very carefully in print, because it is so much about tone.

Respected Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@wonderfulworld 

@wonderfulworld wrote:

South Carolina girl here! "Bless your heart" can be an insult, but can also be sympathetic...it's all in the tone of voice and context. I think only a Southerner may be able to tell the difference!

"Bless your heart" probably should be used very carefully in print, because it is so much about tone.

Thank you. Hmmm, guess I will try to stop saying it.

Esteemed Contributor

@wonderfulworld  I've also heard (here) it may be taken as an insult. Who knew? (Also from the midwest and didn't have a clue.)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

So, it's easier to knowingly do something someone thinks is wrong, then ask that person for forgiveness after the deed is done?  That's my interpretation.  

What do you call that kind of morality?  It's a dereliction of trust between two people that is very difficult to rectify if ever.  

Valued Contributor

My favorite quote is...

"Like anyone in love she constantly found reasons to mention his name."

~ Anne Tyler

Breathing Lessons 

Honored Contributor

”Age is just a number.”  No it isn't!

”Better than the alternative.”  No, not always.

”You get only what you can handle.”  Really?

”Thoughts and prayers.”  They don’t solve anything.

”Take care.”  Huh? Of what?

”It’s all In your head.” You want to smack him right in the face. (Doctor who has no answers)

”We may not see each other often, but you know I love you.”  Go away . . . Forever. (Just said to me recently)

I could go on and on with trite words that mean nothing. People don’t like to be around sick people, period.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Quotes are like anything else, some funny, some sad, some cute, some prophetic, some true some not so true.

I would not put to much store in any of them, let alone get upset over any of them.  

Best reply! I would add that because context is everything, judging many quotes without knowing the context in which they were used is difficult. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@wonderfulworld, In my area of the south "Bless your heart"is not an insult. I have never heard it used as an insult either. People that would use it in a snide way would not be someone that I would continue a relationship with at all. It is meant to be a loving sympathetic term.

Honored Contributor

Hi @phoenixbrd!

That is from the song Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas.Woman Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"