Esteemed Contributor

Re: We were almost victims of fraud!

State of Illinois here.  Not me, but some people I work for/with. I understand the state called for info to HR department in a couple cases.  BUT - and this is the worrisome part - one of the cards was for someone who had passed away in 2019 and, as far as we knew, his social security number was noted as such.  Had been retired forever, but had his old old old place of employment listed.  How on earth do they know this?

I don't really understand the purpose because they are mailed to the correct person's address.  I can only assume that sometimes they are able to change the address.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@patbz , I always thought that a Debit card could only be attached to a Bank Account. This is a new one. They know all the tricks. At least it came to your address. 

Years ago someone who worked at American Express in Fl, would order Cards in a person's name and have someone waiting at the address (as if they lived there). These cards were sent by Fedex next day delivery by 10am. They would sign the person's name, get the envelope and disappear. After doing this for at least 5 times, they were busted.

They advertise pre-paid debit cards all night on TV that have nothing to do with a bank account.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When did states start issuing debit cards?  Perhaps OP is talking about some other type of card.  Debit cards are issued by banks and credit unions.  

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

So, how would they get a person's confidential information?  First time I heard about this type of scam.  presumably the debit card allows people to with draw their benefits but obviosuly the scammers are not depositing any money.  There are all types of unemployment scams now, I'm fortunate that my state has a very sophisticated unemployment system in place.  Several months ago, my emplpyer called me to ask if I applied for unemployment benefits because the state notified them that there  I filed an application.  I assured them that I hadn't since I was still working.  So, they reported it as fraud and sent me a link so that I could report the fraud.  Several weeks later, I received an email from the state thanking me for reporting it and advising me that they were investigating.  Although, from what I read, thse operations are huge and sophisticated and they never find out who is behind it.  Some states have no protections in place and person doesn't know until they try to collect unemployment themselves.  And they can't get it until THEY prove the first application is fraudulent.

Honored Contributor

This past June someone filed under my social an unemployment claim..  They used my office address where I get all my mail instead of my home.  I only just a few weeks ago got it resolved.  Police Report, IRS affidavit, credit freezes, Fed. Trade Comm., Social Security Adm.  Texas even sent me a debit card to activate to get the funds for the unemployment.  Covid caused a lot of this to take longer since everyone in State government is not at full capacity.  I talked to many people and the claim was stopped then Texas wanted their money back so started billing me.  They had funded the debit card and it not being activated was of no concern to them.  My state rep. finally got it solved for me with a written letter saying it was fraud and I did not owe a dime.  I was told most of these imposters hope people will toss stuff thinking it is a mistake. Which I almost did the same.  Then they hope you forget they use your social again and have the unactivated debit card address changed.  It really was a nightmare

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@patbz , I always thought that a Debit card could only be attached to a Bank Account. This is a new one. They know all the tricks. At least it came to your address. 

Years ago someone who worked at American Express in Fl, would order Cards in a person's name and have someone waiting at the address (as if they lived there). These cards were sent by Fedex next day delivery by 10am. They would sign the person's name, get the envelope and disappear. After doing this for at least 5 times, they were busted.

They advertise pre-paid debit cards all night on TV that have nothing to do with a bank account.

I remember those, we gave them to my girls when they were in college many years ago.  We deposited money on the cards on our payday.  A cash deposit at one of those check cashing places.  But we were not required to provide any confidential information to the card company.  Just the card holder's name and address.  There was no banking information.  It was easier and faster than mailing checks to the girls, they had access to the money almost immediately.  I haven't thought about those types of debit cards in years.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree :  I received a B of A debit card; is was totally legit but I smelled a rat!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Kachina624  yes I know about Prepaid Debit Cards but that's a different ball game. Walmart and different merchants sell them.  Lots of people who can't open a Bank Account (for whatever reason) buy them.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

When did states start issuing debit cards?  Perhaps OP is talking about some other type of card.  Debit cards are issued by banks and credit unions.  

——————

Arizona uses debit cards to pay unemployment benefits. I have one from a furlough this year but would immediately transfer most of the money into my bank account. I think I used it once as an actual debit card at the grocery store.