Respected Contributor

Re: Water Alert in Philadelphia and South Jersey

Well we're all still waiting for the next announcement. I would hate to be a restaurant owner not knowing whether to order supplies for tomorrow.

This is not just affecting Philadelphia. New Jersey also has treatment plants on the Delaware.

I'm wondering how the tides will affect this situation. People are often surprised at how strong the tidal effect is in Philadelphia. 

The Delaware River salt line is often a topic of interest here. I don't think increasing salinity will affect the spill. FYI, the salt line is usually about ten miles north of Wilmington DE, but is always changing due to conditions. I remember once during a drought it moved to eight miles south of the Philadelphia Airport. You can't have salt water enter a fresh water treatment plant.

Honored Contributor

This is terrible!  I'm about an hour up river from the accident and the city but my daughter just had a baby 5 weeks ago and it's hard for them to run out to the store.  They live in Philly. (I can't wait for them to move!).  It seems like there was a lot of panic buying and no bottled water is available in the city and some of the surrounding area..

I tried a local supermarket and it's been wiped out of water.  The manager told me a lot of people came up yesterday from the city to buy water. 

So far they can use the water until midnight tonight but after that they can't.  She ordered some water from Amazon which will come tomorrow and I ordered two 24 packs of 16oz. which will arrive on Wednesday.  The problem  is they just haven't said how long this will go on for!

In the worst case scenario, she, her husband and baby can come stay with us.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Philadelphia has announced they will make an announcement at 5:00 pm. You would think if everything's OK they would just announce that. If they need to gather media for details, something may be off. 

****No contamination present. Philly water OK until  3:30 pm Tuesday 

Honored Contributor

Residents and businesses that have water supplied by Aqua Pennsylvania need not worry about their water quality as a result of a latex spill that occurred over the weekend along a tributary of the Delaware River in Bucks County.

Aqua said in a statement that its water does not have any chemicals from the Bristol spill in it.

This is due to Aqua's team shutting off its intake to the Bristol water system as soon as the spill was announced.

"As a result of their fast action, we are not seeing any of the chemicals from the spill in our drinking water," the utility company said. "We continue to monitor the situation while also working closely with state and federal agencies. We will reopen our intake only when we are confident that the source water is safe for our customers and meets our stringent quality standards."

Aqua said its customers do not need to use bottled water.

Honored Contributor

The water ccontinues to not be safe.