Honored Contributor

Re: Today Would Have Been My Mom's Birthday

@wismiss I'm so sorry, holidays can be very hard to get through after the loss of a loved one. My mother died January 31, I know Mother's Day is going to be tough. Try to think of the happy memories you had with your mother before she was ill. I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you.

Valued Contributor

Know that your memories are what keep your loved ones alive.

Today would have been my parents 59th anniversary. My father passed 2 1/2 yrs ago so it is kind of bittersweet for my mother. My father's birthday was last week on 4/21. I sent a little image to my 6 younger siblings with a little caption to remember the day.

One of my younger sibling's was born on my parents anniversary. So it was his birthday today. Happy he was able to enjoy as he was in a hospital just prior to Easter with this virus. He is out but in isolation with his wife and children. So my mother was thrilled to be able to call him and the could celebrate the day over the phone.

Respected Contributor

I was born on MDay so my birthday and MDay were close together. No matter where I lived we celebrated together. The first MDay was difficult but not as difficult as I expected. It's fifteen years now; I often feel her presence. I was very fortunate; when your shrink tells you he had the great priviledge of knowing your mother you know you've lucked out.

Hang in there. The day will come when you will remember her with joy, not sadness.

Respected Contributor

Awww...  @wismiss, it can be really hard on those certain dates after losing a parent, can't it?  Always hard on their birthdays and then with Mother's Day coming up, I bet it does bring up memories.  Glad you can call your sister and exchange some stories and relive some sweet memories.  But it does change our lives certainly.  Sending good thoughts your way.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@wismiss, my mother was everything to me. Her birthday was last month. I took a bouquet to the cemetery and sat by her grave. I feel her presence at times if only in my dreams.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.  They are very comforting and I feel for those of you who have also lost loved one(s).  I don't know why but this year was particularly difficult.  Maybe it's the stay at home and feeling isolated.  We had a rainy day yesterday, so I didn't go to the cemetery, but I went this morning and now I feel better.  

Warmed Heart - Thank You Card Template (Free | Thank you card ...

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

@wismiss   I am sorry for the loss of your dear mother.  Time removes the pain of loss, but not the good memories.  How fortunate you were to have a wonderful mother.

My own mother was born on Mother's Day.  She has been gone for 38 years now.  I still miss her and the holidays are especially difficult.

I know she is still watching over me.  Every once in a while she pops into my head and reminds me of something she said to do or not to do.