Honored Contributor

Re: Think You Had A Bad Day?

This story is just so sad, especially for a young pregnant mother.

I learned a long time ago that anything locked in a car is not safe.  It doesn't matter if it is hidden in the glove box or trunk or under a blanket....it is not safe there.

Cars are easy to break into and thieves are out there making a living by helping themselves to your stuff.  Even the spare change in the console will be taken.

i have noticed that many women leave their handbag in the car and just take their wallet for a quick trip inside.   Not a wise move at all.

It is best to either take your valuables with you or leave them at home.  Also, you should always lock your car even when parked in your own driveway.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@violann 

Your post reminded me ... when my younger sister was in HS, she got a brand new car on Saturday.   She drove it to church on Sunday and parked it right by the door.  Came out after services and it had been stolen.   They did find it with little damage but come on... steal a car in broad daylight in a church parking lot?????   This was in the late 60's.

The daughter of one of my coworkers purchased a brand new car.  A few days later, she was pumping her own gas.  A thief opened the passenger's door and jumped in and took off with her new car while the gas was still running through the pump.

They never did find her car or purse that was on the passenger's seat.  Always lock your doors if you get out of your car and take the keys with you, even for a minute or two.

These thieves are getting really bold.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@violann 

Your post reminded me ... when my younger sister was in HS, she got a brand new car on Saturday.   She drove it to church on Sunday and parked it right by the door.  Came out after services and it had been stolen.   They did find it with little damage but come on... steal a car in broad daylight in a church parking lot?????   This was in the late 60's.

The daughter of one of my coworkers purchased a brand new car.  A few days later, she was pumping her own gas.  A thief opened the passenger's door and jumped in and took off with her new car while the gas was still running through the pump.

They never did find her car or purse that was on the passenger's seat.  Always lock your doors if you get out of your car and take the keys with you, even for a minute or two.

Oh wow....that is beyond bold.  So frightening.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@violann 

@Carmie    This scenario has occured to me so when I get gas, I always lock the car and put the keys in my pocket.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry all that happen to her, but what was she not thinking to leave a wallet in plan sight. At the very least, put it in the trunk of the car.

Look at how not thinking Alex Rodriguez was in SF to leave millions of his stuff in the car in plain sight.  Or the man that left the very expensive engagement ring in the car?   Think people, think.  It,s a different world today.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

So sorry for her. But these are great lessons!  Once I had my purse stolen out of my backpack as a student, wow, did it make me Extra vigilant and cautious about my belongings and the risks all around us... It changed my behavior forever. I still see ladies at the market turning their back on their purses in the cart- Dumb beyond words...

@Skyegirl21 

That's so true in the grocery store....I see a lot of people (including my sister) leaving their purses in their cart while they go pick up something on a shelf.....STUPID STUPID STUPID.....thieves are looking for just that opportunity....

And our Neighborhood Watch Newsletter always warns people not to leave valuables in their cars....but they STILL leave their computers and other valuables in plain sight and then cry the blues because someone broke into their car....and it always happens during the holiday shopping season....

I see women do this all the time!  Once several years ago it was just me and another woman in one of the isles at the grocery store.  She suddenly turned to me and asked if I had seen her purse....she had turned away from her cart and had her bag sitting on the seat not paying attention to it.  When she went to put something into her cart she noticed that her bag was missing!

I always hold on to  mine...even in the very nice neighborhood supermarket.