Contributor

Personal Injury Lawyers - Is this normal?

Hi lovey ladies *waves around the virtual room*,

I need to retain the services of a personal injury lawyer (car accident). From your experiences, I wondered if it was normal to have to provide copies of documentation (including police reports, medical records, diagnostic testing such as x-rays or MRI) before you are granted a free consult with a personal injury lawyer?

I need to submit this information so it could be looked over and IF the lawyer determines that I have a case I would meet with him for the free consultation and to proceed further. If he determines, there is no potential case nothing more would come of it. I was not sure if this was the norm.

For those of you out there that have had to retain services of a personal injury lawyer --- what have been your experiences both good and bad? Any suggestions and/or tips?

Thanks in advance for your help!

azureblue

Honored Contributor

Re: Personal Injury Lawyers - Is this normal?

This sounds like you are dealing with one of those larger firms you see advertised on TV. If you deal with someone local, you should be able to get a free consult and find out if you have a case in your state.

Contributor

I'm assuming it would be a contingency case (the attorney's fee would be a portion of the amount received from the defendant). If so, that sounds reasonable to me. You would probably be asked to provide that information at some point anyway.

Trusted Contributor

if you do submit the requested info, keep a copy of everything in a file just in case it's lost or misplaced!

Esteemed Contributor

A decent lawyer won't waste their time or yours on a case they can't win. Personal injury/worker's comp, etc earn a $ of your award.

They should ask for a police report (who is at fault), determine the extent of your injuries (medicals) and ask what, if any, insurance settlement has offered.

No lawyer worth their degree would take a case on your personal say so without evidence.

Honored Contributor

I agree sounds like you are dealing with the big leagues!

My husband is an attorney and when he was in a small office, he would not do personal injury cases, too risky!

Respected Contributor

I've not done this, but it sounds reasonable. If the paperwork does not support a claim, no time will be wasted on a face-to-face consultation.

Good luck to you.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

Yep. If the attorney will be paid a percentage of the award, he/she wants to make sure it's winnable.

I fell on an unmaintained walkway into a restaurant and broke my foot. I had to submit multiple pictures of the walkway, pictures of my injuries along with x-rays, medical reports and the receipt for the Aircast I had to purchase so I could walk.

Respected Contributor

I went through this many years ago for two different car accidents that happened in the same year. Two different insurance companies too.

I did hire an attorney that I use to work for and he did all the leg work. He took the case not knowing the outcome but based on what information the insurance companies had at the time. I won both times but it did come down to the wire. Car insurance companies will do anything to not pay or come up with a very low ball figure. It took awhile but the attorney did all the work, health records, bills, my insurance co., missed work, etc. That's what they are paid for. He got a good percentage of my wins but it was worth it.

We almost had to go to court on the last case but the insurance co. came through with more money at the last minute.

Respected Contributor

Usually you sign Release's and they obtain your medical reports..

It just may be they want to prove you have a case before signing you on and not a waste of resources (time and money) on their part.