Honored Contributor

Re: They hate xmas gifts so picky & un greatful

Some people don't like candles ,so what?  It sounds to me like you are rather picky, yourself. I don't know why this makes them greedy? We all don't like the same thing

Some people have allergies ,and breathing problelms, everyone doesn't like the same scents...It is sad that you are looking for people to belittle

I happen to like candles, but if I were giving a gift to someone ,I would  try to find something useful for them

@SouthernBee  has the right idea

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@sissel You missed my point as to why I do not donate candles and fragrances.  I do not want the pets of others to be subjected to the irritation they feel from the scents.  It is extremely strong to them.  I do my share of donating items and money on a routine basis to several charities and do the gift trees, etc. at Christmas. 

But not everyone has pets (I don't), and I happen to love candles and like getting as gifts. Don't throw away.

Valued Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Pook : I listen and watch my family and friends during the year to collect a list of items they need and want. I prefer to gift want someone will use and need. My SIL mentioned that her 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup was chipped and she used it in the microwave to make tea. My Christmas gift to her will be a box including the measuring cup, two packages of her favorite tea and two of the half gallon lock n lock pitchers because she makes sweet and unsweetened tea. When friends open my gift they look at me and ask- how did you know that I needed or wanted this? Southern Bee

@

That is exactly how I pick my gifts @SouthernBee .  Years ago, my mother-in-law said "if you have to ask me what I want for Christmas, you haven't been listening to what I've been saying."  I never forgot that. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry : I agree with everything you mentioned. People need to be more understanding and positive and make extra efforts to uplift one another instead of being negative and hurtful. This would be a great challenge for the New Year. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

I think when one is given a gift, you should accept it with thankfulness and be pleasant about it whether its something you like, or need, or don't like, and don't need.

I've been given bottles of wine as gifts.  I don't drink.  But I give thanks as I can always serve the wine to guests at some point.  Regarding candles, I'm very sensitive to scents in general, I don't have allergies (that I know of), so if its a fragrance I'm not fond of (pine), I try and give the candle to someone who does njoy them. 

That's why all this gift giving at Christmastime can be kind of silly.  It is nice to think of others and buy them a small gift to present them with all wrapped up in paper and ribbon, hoping they'll like it, but....everyone has different tastes and like what they like.  I don't think even when I was a kid I was the type to throw a tantrum if I didn't get something I wanted.  I just accepted what I got, and if I was lucky enough to get some $$$, I'd save up and go to the toy store and buy the toy I wanted to have.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

we should be grateful because we receive something we don't want or like or can't use?

and now need to house or dispose of

Honored Contributor

@In-x-s :Very wise and thoughtful MIL. I love going shopping with friends and family. I notice what they are looking at or picking up something to examine and what they are saying- like one day soon hope to purchase this for me. During conversation someone my mention what the bedroom colors are and a comforter set they hope to purchase. Really easy if you take time to listen and watch people. I rearranged my kitchen cabinet spice storage and text a photo to a friend and she liked my items and ideas. Wonderful because that was what I purchased for her Christmas gifts. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

While I like the light from a candle I have asthma and the scents bother my breathing, I prefer to use batter operate lights

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Whatever happened to the good spirit behind the saying that.........

IT"S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS ???

If someone thinks enough of me to give me ANYTHING, it's not my place to question the judgement or taste of the giver when it comes to the type of gift.

Let's not be so grumpy over small stuff.  Say thanks and move on, maybe.

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@sissel You missed my point as to why I do not donate candles and fragrances.  I do not want the pets of others to be subjected to the irritation they feel from the scents.  It is extremely strong to them.  I do my share of donating items and money on a routine basis to several charities and do the gift trees, etc. at Christmas. 

=====

@KathyM23  I'd still donate unwanted candles because millions of people don't have pets. In fact, pets can be an allergen in themselves causing some people to not want to be near them. I'm with @sissel about not wasting perfectly good items that might be popular with a different segment of society (that being non pet owners).