Honored Contributor

Re: The glorious Jersey shore

[ Edited ]

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@LilacTree ... Sounds beautiful! Nice and relaxing. What is it with being around water that seems so peaceful?

We're taking a short trip to Southern California...leaving Wednesday. We're taking my 91 y.o. mother along. We'll be going to the beach too. I guess they have beach wheelchairs. I love being on the ocean...just don't love all that salt! My mother will have a chance to see her sister though...it's been three years. That is really the purpose of this trip. Her sister hasn't been to the ocean in years, even though she lives in SoCal, so it will be nice for them to relax and catch up.

@LilacTree ~ that's where we all started out👶

@AKgal   Funny you should bring that up.  As I was sitting there all that time and watching the motion of the sea, I was thinking how that had been happening for perhaps trillions of years, and it took us one short century to destroy it.

And yes, I do believe life started in the sea.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

Hello ~ dear 'F', ~ @sissy2 Tree,

I wanted to chime in and say  ' hello'. 

Indeed, I did know, from years ago,

`your love for The Jersey Shore`

I was so happy that you were there one more time.

How very exciting that you had this fascinating adventure as you had remembered from years past.

Sending a hug with a soft Heart my friend. Hope to hear from you when time permits.

Although, I have not been to ' your ' gorgeous Jersey Shore, I do know oh so well how much we love the white sandy beaches from our travels.

Have that memory in your box of delights for ever and a lifetime.

Woman HappyNAES......Heart.

@NAES1

So nice to hear from you!  I hope all is going well.  There are beautiful beaches all over the world of course!  However, I was born in Jersey, for many years all I knew was the Jersey shore for family vacations. 

We've gone to other local beaches (I've never been to the Caribbean, but always wanted to check out Bermuda . . . never did).  Family members have gone to the "Saints," and several other tropical islands and have always raved about how beautiful they are, the turquoise water, etc., . . . I've just never made it.

However, if I had, it would have never replaced the Jersey shore for me because that's so deeply imbedded in my psyche.  So many memories.  Us as children, then my own children, now my grandchildren.  It's not the beauty as much as it is the "feeling." 

Take care, NAES, so nice to hear from you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Jersey Shore is my kind of topic lol..

We took our kids on vacation to Wildwood NJ often. We even met a family there from Canada that we made plans to meet up with several summers and occasionally hear from them...  We have been almost every year in some form or another except a couple when DH was extremely ill.

Now, like others,  we are taking our grandchildren. When my daughter was little Wildwood NJ had all the Doo Wop hotels (that you paid premium for but not premium accommodations lol..but it was all about LOCATION!

We have since rented  condos all along the Shore..Myrtle Beach, OC MD and Wildwood NJ. Believe it or not Wildwood was the most expensive and a block and half up..but the boardwalk just is what the kids love after a day at the beach.

Now condos are taking over most of the hotels as the owners move on and retire. They don't have the $$ to put into renovations and/or nobody wants to continue with the family business.  People buy a condo and rent it out for $$$$ per week..

Seaside  Heights took a huge hit in Hurricane Sandy but good for them..they were up and back pretty much ready for Tourist Season..

I would love to go to the St. and other beaches but right now DH isn't really up to it..but who knows what is in our retirement future in a few years? Of course after the ever pesky Disney vacation the kids want to take lol..

Honored Contributor

@CouponQueen wrote:

Jersey Shore is my kind of topic lol..

We took our kids on vacation to Wildwood NJ often. We even met a family there from Canada that we made plans to meet up with several summers and occasionally hear from them...  We have been almost every year in some form or another except a couple when DH was extremely ill.

Now, like others,  we are taking our grandchildren. When my daughter was little Wildwood NJ had all the Doo Wop hotels (that you paid premium for but not premium accommodations lol..but it was all about LOCATION!

We have since rented  condos all along the Shore..Myrtle Beach, OC MD and Wildwood NJ. Believe it or not Wildwood was the most expensive and a block and half up..but the boardwalk just is what the kids love after a day at the beach.

Now condos are taking over most of the hotels as the owners move on and retire. They don't have the $$ to put into renovations and/or nobody wants to continue with the family business.  People buy a condo and rent it out for $$$$ per week..

Seaside  Heights took a huge hit in Hurricane Sandy but good for them..they were up and back pretty much ready for Tourist Season..

I would love to go to the St. and other beaches but right now DH isn't really up to it..but who knows what is in our retirement future in a few years? Of course after the ever pesky Disney vacation the kids want to take lol..

@CouponQueen

I myself have never had the "Disney" experience as a desirable place to go.  My kids love it and their kids also.  I've never been an Atlantic City lover either, and dislike boardwalks. 

I like quiet, peaceful places.  I'm kinda boring.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

I agree, theres nothing like the beach! I lived over half of my life of Summers at the Jersey shore areas (Brigantine and Wildwood). Havent been there in 19 years! (SInce all my back issues).

My daughter tells me that Wildwood NJ has turned into a dump. They went over night the other year. I have their site on my facebook (and they post videos, it doesnt look like a dump to me). Can anyone tell me if you have been to Wildwood lately?

My daughter and her family (and also my son) go to Ocean City Maryland every year. Ive been to OC a few times (long ago) but I always preferred Jersey.

Some of the best memories of my life (with my family) were made @ the Jersey shore!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

We love Cape May, we have been going there for at least 30 yrs. We did buy an ocean front condo, we moved to Syracuse NY  and had to sell it because the trip was just too long to make week end trips, We lived in Jersey whrn we bought it. I was sad to sell it but it was left empty for so much of the yr. It use to be nice to go down during the winter. Oh, well such is life. 

Valued Contributor

@LilacTree, you should be a travel writer. My daughter moved with her family from CA to Westchester Co last year. Her husband is a Jersey boy so they are "home". I am having s much fn getting to know her area and am looking forward to visiting the shore with her in laws who have a house there. You paint a comfy, serene, beautiful picture and I can't wait to go there. Thank you

Respected Contributor

Hi Ford!

I spent every summer in NJ growing up, and part of that time with relatives in South Belmar and Spring Lake.

I live by the sound now, and I love it.  But there's only one Jersey shore!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Sounds like you had a really nice day! 

We were in Ocean City, NJ on Saturday and it was cloudy, nice and breezy---perfect for 'walking the boards'.

We just bought there last summer.  My grandparents (and great grandparents) lived there year round.

We live along the Carolina coast in the cooler months.  My parents stay at our house during the summer. 

We don't 'snowbird' as we do head back home a lot during the summer/fall months.  (My husband is semi-retired.)

We've owned (rentals) in Dewey and Lewes Beach, but sold those and now have a place in Rehoboth which we rent out seasonally.

Rehoboth reminds me of Jersey the most.  (We can see Cape May lit up at night from our beach.)  We always thought we'd summer in Rehoboth, but now the Jersey shore has stolen our hearts.

The best part is, our Long Island grandchildren are only a little over two hours away now.  Ocean City is a safe, family friendly town.  We LOVE the boardwalk. 

Our house is under major construction right now.  (Had to be 'lifted' for starters.)

We're torn between having grandchildren in the south and grandchildren in the north.  We can't wait till ALL of us can be together on the island--someday soon!

Used to do Wildwood in my late teens.  (Oh those Wildwood days!)  Haven't been there in years, but do have friends in Wildwood Crest that we hope to get to see soon.

I hope you can get back again this summer/fall.  Nothing like the sound of the surf and the breeze--but don't feed the gulls!

Honored Contributor

@jewel3 wrote:

@LilacTree, you should be a travel writer. My daughter moved with her family from CA to Westchester Co last year. Her husband is a Jersey boy so they are "home". I am having s much fn getting to know her area and am looking forward to visiting the shore with her in laws who have a house there. You paint a comfy, serene, beautiful picture and I can't wait to go there. Thank you

@jewel3

Thank you so much!  It's easy when you love something so much.  The Jersey shore has rich memories for me going back to when my middle-aged daughters were very little girls.  No matter where we lived, that's where we went on vacation.  I tried others occasionally, but I guess what matters is where your heart is. 

The barrier islands are the best, but "Sandy" took its toll on many of the towns.  The southern part of our island simply fell into the sea, homes and all. 

I hope wherever you go, it's a town that has been successful in rebuilding and replenishing.  (((smiles)))

Formerly Ford1224