Esteemed Contributor

Re: The glorious Jersey shore

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

Sounds heavenly! 

I'm close to the gulf coast but a beach vacation here is so different than one up north! Give me one up north in the summer! 

Actually, the beaches in the Gulf States seem to rate as some of the "best" right now.

http://dailynewsdig.com/cleanest-beaches-america/

That is not news to me. The cleanliness of the beaches never even entered my mind. My vote for northern beaches in the summer has much to do with the weather. It is delightful. Down here it is, at best, meltingly hot & humid. 

OK, good.  Some people will consider water quality if they plan to partake in any activity in the water. .Iit's still good to know, just in case other have interest.

I never go to a beach w/o getting in the water!  I love it......

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

Love LOVE the shore. Ironically enough we have vacationed up and down the Coast..all NJ Shorepoints...DE/OC and Myrtle Beach.

We have never been to LBI beause we like the Boardwalks at night and beach by day!

We are hoping to head down to AC beginning of next month. We are not gamblers and I won't even spend a dime in them...

Nothing like Oceanfront. I guess like many things if you live with it, it is just another day.

I am glad you enjoyed your day.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a glorious day!! So happy for you that you enjoyed yourself.

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree-----Hi Ford ! You brought me right back to the times spent on LBI when the kids were little and wanted to be where the excitement was. 

Even though I live in NJ, our summers have been spent in Rhode Island. If you have not been, Block Island should be on your bucket list. The lack of excitement and the isolation are not everyone's cup of tea and it can be an ordeal to get to and exit the island but there is no denying the beauty.

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I totally agree with you about LBI ... my home is an oceanfront on LBI .... right now I am writing this note on my deck looking at the glorious ocean .... today is a beautiful, perfect day on LBI .... glad you had a good time!! 😄

I grew up on and around the Long Island Sound...how I miss it...the wonderful beachy smell (not at low tide), the sand, water, the wonderful view of boats on the water and kids playing by the shore...please take a deep breath of that glorious ocean air for me!

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Went down the shore Saturday with my girls and stayed overnight at my daughter's house (who lives on LBI).  We went down to the beach early and stayed practically all day.  It was my first time this year.

They have done a beautiful job replenishing the beach, it's twice as long a walk to the ocean than it used to be.  There are barges on the horizon that continually push the deep ocean sand toward the shoreline.  We saw dolphins.  It was about 85 and sunny most of the day, just a bit breezy, which is how I like it.

They have a service for people like me.  You call them and they meet you in a jeep at the top of the beach and drive you down to where you want to locate.  Wonderful, friendly people.  The area of the beach where we go has no lifeguards, so there was plenty of room to sit anywhere we wanted to sit.  The sand white and clean . . . OMG, I felt like I had just come home!! 

You then call the service when you want to leave and they come and get you.  My daughter and her girls are so lucky they can go out there and look at that magnificent sea whenever they want to.  My daughter goes alone often.  Her girls were born there and take it for granted.  They are working now that it's summer. 

We took some photos and I put them on my FB.  My daughter made cod and salmon and we had roasted potatoes and carrots Saturday night.  (I had leftovers on Sunday and it was still delicious.) 

I could go on and on.  It was the best weekend in a long, long time.  We are such Jersey girls, all we did was laugh and tell jokes.  We're different somehow when we're down there all together, I can't explain it.

Someone had a thread the other day about where you would want to go on vacation.  The only place I would want to go is exactly where I was yesterday!!

Is there any chance of you living on LBI close to your daughter, or spending more than just a weekend there?  I know your heart and soul belongs to the shore, mine as wellSmiley Sad  I grew up on and around the Long Island Sound and miss it very much til this day...Alaska is surrounded by water, but it's not the same in any way, nor do I expect it to be anything but a raw type of beauty.  Not my kind of water experience...do like watching whales thoughSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We always took our kids to Wildwood, NJ almost every summer back in the 80's. Always enjoyed it!!!

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I love LBI, I used to go to the State Park quite often and you're right the space between the sand and the shoreline is quite massive. 

I live on Cape Cod and in my opinion only the lower cape beaches equal the beaches of New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland.

Spent many a glorious vacation on Cape Cod, enjoying the glorious beaches and seafood!  

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

Sounds heavenly! 

I'm close to the gulf coast but a beach vacation here is so different than one up north! Give me one up north in the summer! 

Actually, the beaches in the Gulf States seem to rate as some of the "best" right now.

http://dailynewsdig.com/cleanest-beaches-america/

My parents lived in the Tampa/St. Pete area...so many beautiful beaches and memories..just loved it there, thought I'd wind up around that area, but hasn't happend (yet)...still would like to check out Charleston, SC and Savannah, Ga.  I love and need to be close to the ocean.  Makes the heart and soul happySmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We spent a good amount o time down the shore in the early years of our marriage, Belmar specifically. A few years ago we spent a week in Brigantine, which was great and we have also been to the Delaware shore a few times

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.