Honored Contributor

Re: Switching out seasonal clothing

@Bri369 wrote:

I have a large walk-in closet and everything is there.  If I had to store things in bins, I would go mad.

@Bri369  LOL!!  Me too.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I have space bags that are inside a zippered canvas tote...purchased from QVC years ago.  

I have four of them and all my warm weather clothes fit in those spacebags, and stored under the bed.  Works perfectly for me.

I do have a zippered bag that hangs, and my good blazers and jackets are hung in the bag in my spare room closet.

Super Contributor

4 seasons. I move what season is on clothes to the center of my long closet, with out of season on the two ends and reverse as the weather changes. shoes in Peraria boxes, coats by front door. 

If I move things end to end of closet without wearing for 2 years, I purge. some things hard to let go, but I keep bringing things in, so something has to go out. 

other closets hold seasonal decorations and my forest of faux trees: Xmas,sping, fall, etc. 

Valued Contributor

I leave everything in same closet. I also have overflow in another closet. My shorts are all hung together so I just ignore them in winter. May move longer pants in front of capris in pants section but that's it. Most things are seasonal & if not just ignore them in their off-season. 

Frequent Contributor

@bargainsgirl, We may be on the same wave length.  What to do with my closet space has been a recent priority for me.  I just last week had my (modest) bedroom closet repainted with new lighting and vinyl flooring installed.  

And I'm shooting for a more minimalistic presence.   I am one of those with more clothes than good sense as I have 3 closets for clothing (plus my front entry closet for coats) and also utilize a storage bin for the overflow.  When the seasons change I rotate closets.  Ugh!  Things have got to change.  Will be donating quite a lot (I hope).  

Respected Contributor

I purge whatever needs to go, and then pack up my seasonal wardrobe in Pereia storage boxes. I put them in the bottom of a closet and switch out accordingly.

I bought the Jumbo size and they fit a ton of clothes. I have zippered shoe wheels and do the same with them for my shoes, boots, and sandals.

Some clothing is left hanging in my closet all the time. Especially liquid knit items, and dressy clothes.

Honored Contributor

Large closet; so no seasonal switching. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have clothes for every season, even if there are 4 seasons.   I have cold weather clothes and warm weather clothes.  I wear jeans a lot, I keep all of them except the whites in a storage cube.  I wear them all every season.  I wear black leggings year round.  I buy cotton rich black leggings.  Capri leggings for warm weather and to wear with tall boots.  I wear all my tees year round.  In cold weather, I wear them under sweaters and jackets.  I wear button up cotton shirts year round, I keep them pressed in my closet.  My hot weather only clothes are my maxi dresses, tank tops, white pants/jeans, white denim jacket.  I do pack those things in a big storage cube.  I do switch out my footwear.  The sandals, bright sneakers, cute little flats go away and I bring out my boots and my dark sneakers.  I also pack away my heavy sweaters and sweatshirts on April 15 and take them out again on October 15.  Sounds like a lot but I get thinks done in a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.

Respected Contributor

@knittykitty wrote:

4 seasons. I move what season is on clothes to the center of my long closet, with out of season on the two ends and reverse as the weather changes. shoes in Peraria boxes, coats by front door. 

If I move things end to end of closet without wearing for 2 years, I purge. some things hard to let go, but I keep bringing things in, so something has to go out. 

other closets hold seasonal decorations and my forest of faux trees: Xmas,sping, fall, etc. 

I also use the Persia boxes for shoes and sweaters.  I have a long closet downstairs and have all my seasonal decorating items in there and extra blankets and all my winter coats.  Can't even tell there is a closet there unless you go to the side and see the door.  Built that in when we remodeled downstairs.  Great place for those extras.  

I also just move things in closet around for season and purge as I go.  I keep certain things longer and depends but I try to keep it filled with things I like to wear for sure.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in SE PA and so we have all four seasons.

I have a small walk in closet for clothes and a regular smaller closet for storing my shoes & bags in my bedroom.  Since the kids have moved out I now use the closets in their old rooms so I don't have to keep clothing in bins.  (DH has one of those closets)

I do switch things up a bit in October but I don't wash everything.  I switch out my shoes & bags since the closet that I use for them isn't big enough for everything. 

I store out of season shoes in bins high up in the walk in closet and out of season (some I use all year) bags in bins on higher shelves in that closet.

Outerwear is stored in the coat closet in the foyer and extra coats are in another coat closet in the laundry room.

All of my seasonal decorations are stored in the basement or garage attic.