Esteemed Contributor

@151949

The city should count their blessings...better kites than toilet paper LOL!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Allegheny - have you ever gone to Erie and seen people flying the kites at the kite beach on Presque Isle. They are just beautiful.

@151949

No I haven't been up there.  Thanks for the suggestion it would make a nice trip for DH and I.  We haven't traveled down to the Outer Banks for a couple of years because all the steps in my BILs beach house and my husband's knee don't get along well.  So I miss flying my kite on the beach.

And Mt. Washington, I had work friends that lived up there, not Grandview, a few strees back.  In my younger days I was there quite a bit.  Absolutely the prettiest view of the city at night.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Allegheny - have you ever gone to Erie and seen people flying the kites at the kite beach on Presque Isle. They are just beautiful.

@151949

No I haven't been up there.  Thanks for the suggestion it would make a nice trip for DH and I.  We haven't traveled down to the Outer Banks for a couple of years because all the steps in my BILs beach house and my husband's knee don't get along well.  So I miss flying my kite on the beach.

And Mt. Washington, I had work friends that lived up there, not Grandview, a few strees back.  In my younger days I was there quite a bit.  Absolutely the prettiest view of the city at night.

Actually another very pretty view of the city is from the park in Elliott. You look down the OHIO River toward the point - the water is wide and it is just gorgeous.I actually prefer to take visitors there instead of Mt Washington.

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Allegheny

I binged it...is this it?  Kites have come a long way, baby!

@MacDUFF

Yes, that's it. Mine is silver holographic and when the sun reflects off it, it just sparkles.  The only place I was able to get it up was at Myrtle Beach. They say it doesn't take much wind to get them up, but that's a myth.  You got to have sustained wind, not just passing gusts.  It is quite an attention getter.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stuck up in a tree....

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

OK figured I'd give everybody a laugh.  I got my favorite kite stuck up in a tree.  It was quite breezy today and weather was still pretty pleasant so I decided to take my 60 something self outside to try to fly a kite.

I didn't have much success getting it to stay up. Right before giving up it darted up and got lodged in a tree.  Way to high up to retrieve, so I now have a tree ornament.  I'm still giggling at myself, though I really did like that kite.  I'm glad I have my only close neighbor who is my brother;  who already knows I travel off the beaten path.

@Allegheny

Good for you!  And thank you for the beautiful memory.  When I was a teen we used to launch them off of Jockey's Ridge.

No doubt we'll meet off that beaten path sooner or later - it's the one I know best!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

OK figured I'd give everybody a laugh.  I got my favorite kite stuck up in a tree.  It was quite breezy today and weather was still pretty pleasant so I decided to take my 60 something self outside to try to fly a kite.

I didn't have much success getting it to stay up. Right before giving up it darted up and got lodged in a tree.  Way to high up to retrieve, so I now have a tree ornament.  I'm still giggling at myself, though I really did like that kite.  I'm glad I have my only close neighbor who is my brother;  who already knows I travel off the beaten path.

Good for you!

I used to loved kite flying. You reminded me of how much fun it was. My Dad used to take my sister and I out to do it when we were kids. There was a large open field not far from us, that didn't have any electric or phone poles near us that was perfect for kite flying. We had so much fun on windy days, when we could get a kite going pretty high up.

When my DH and I were first married, we would go to a local park that had open spaces, and would take a kite there, too.

We have some good parks here that are good for kite flying, too.

People like to do it along Lake Michigan, too, along some of the lake front parks. Cat Happy