Respected Contributor

Re: Story on the news last night about teachers...

@Cakers  To be clear, starting salary in Ann Arbor is $38,000.

Respected Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Since teachers have the entire 3 month summer vacation off to my knowledge they do not get an additional paid vacation during the school year so I am curious how she would get time off during the school year for a destination wedding cruise. Unless it was during spring break or Christmas vacation.

I never had a day of paid vacation in my 33 years of teaching.   Teaching contracts here are for a specific number of days.  The contract allowed for one personal business day a year.  That could not be used for "vacation."  The contract stated that it was for business that could not be done outside the school day (like closing on a house loan or going to court).  If I needed days to go to a wedding, etc. it was leave without pay and was granted under a "once in a lifetime" clause.  There isn't much flexibility in teaching contracts.
Teachers opt receive pay checks during the summer, but it is only a 12 month division of what is earned for the contract days.  We are only paid for days worked.
New Contributor

The average teacher's salary in California is

$84,489

Honored Contributor

@SweetAsARose wrote:

$84,489

Which includes all the teachers with a lot of seniority.

Teacher salaries are higher than average in my school district, but young single teachers can't afford to buy a home here.  And rentals are often out of reach, too.  They have to commute from about 30 miles away.

Frequent Contributor

Teachers are some of the hardest working people there are, AND they pay taxes as well. If this school system doesn't have the money to pay those who spread out their yearly pay, then the school system has misappropriated funds.  I guarantee the majority of other "hard working" people wouldn't last a week walking in teachers' shoes.

Respected Contributor

@SweetAsARose wrote:

$84,489

Not true at all. 

The average around $69,000 but the average starting salary is around $40,000.

Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline

Not to lump you in with the group "a large percentage of the public doesn't like their tax dollars going to public servants"
Does the category "public servants" include policemen, garbage collectors and the like? I wonder how people many resent their $$ going for these things?
In our school district, parents made it clear that they disliked keeping their students at home (i.e.: snow days) and did not want to pay the cost of a private education for them.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

All communities have their problems.  I'm really not interested in an incompetent school board in Manatee County, Fl.  Other school districts offer teachers this option and manage it with no problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:
@onlyshopsonline

Not to lump you in with the group "a large percentage of the public doesn't like their tax dollars going to public servants"
Does the category "public servants" include policemen, garbage collectors and the like? I wonder how people many resent their $$ going for these things?
In our school district, parents made it clear that they disliked keeping their students at home (i.e.: snow days) and did not want to pay the cost of a private education for them.

Nope, don't lump me in with the group.  My daughter was a teacher, and my husband has worked in public service most of his life, as a civilian support person for our military.  I grow tired of the attitudes that we live off of other people's tax dollars.  There's a job to be done, and nobody is going to work for free!

My daughter put in many very long hours of work, for 10+ years, before she resigned from teaching.  My husband is a highly educated person whose skills are needed by the US government.  And, he does make less than he could make in the private sector.  As just one example, you can see how much our Congress respects the value of our men and women who choose public service, when they shut the government down, freeze pay, etc., all in an attempt to pay off our deficit.  Because, that's what they knew their constituents wanted.   

And, actuallly, no I don't believe they resent their tax dollars going to policemen and garbage collectors, because people can see an immediate presence of these services in their lives.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"