Honored Contributor

Re: Story on the news last night about teachers...

[ Edited ]

@SweetAsARose wrote:

Yes it is true.

My source is the LA Times. According to them, the average teacher's salary in California is $84,889

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-database-public-school-20140723-story.html

Thanks for the link, @SweetAsARose, and welcome to the Community! 

For what it's worth, it appears (looking at that article) that the $84,889 isn't the specific base salary.  It seems to me they're also trying to compute an added estimated value of all benefits, as well:

"...The group found that the average full-time teacher in California made $84,889 last year...  The total figures include base pay, overtime, benefits and other forms of compensation... "

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@marmot24 wrote:

I am a retired teacher and always opted for the 12 month pay. The fact that the school board doesn't have the promised money is shocking.  I'll bet some heads will roll over this.

Jilly I thought your remark indicated that you thought teachers were not "hard-working". Let me assure you that is not true. They earn every penny. In fact many go over and above, using their own money to supplement their classrooms and students.

i don't understand why so many people "despise" teachers.  Can someone please explain that to me.  Marmot

@marmot24  I know several teachers and can attest to the fact that teachers are hard working....the good teachers put in their time, and work after hours and even in summer months go to the school on their own time to get their classrooms ready for the fall.....And some even buy school supplies with their own money to help out kids whose parent or parents are struggling financially .......  I wish they would take off "the handcuffs" that they put teachers on and allow them to teach so kids can really learn...Also, some teachers here get a part time job during the summer months to help make ends meet...

I would like to see these people that "despise" teachers take a teachers place for one day----especially the way some kids act today!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this was the story the thread was started about....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/us/detroit-schools-teacher-sickout/index.html

Also here's a link to a teacher's forum that helps explain the way they are paid....

http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=407516

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

Here's a link to a teacher's forum that helps explain the way they are paid....

http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=407516

That's a good forum. Most of them get paid once a month (that would be hard) . Here it's twice  month. One teacher on that forum was making 78,000 a year. (that was a long time ago)

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@SweetAsARose wrote:

Yes it is true.

My source is the LA Times. According to them, the average teacher's salary in California is $84,889

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-database-public-school-20140723-story.html

For what it's worth, it appears (looking at that article) that the $84,889 isn't the specific base salary.  It seems to me they're also trying to compute an added estimated value of all benefits, as well:

"...The group found that the average full-time teacher in California made $84,889 last year...  The total figures include base pay, overtime, benefits and other forms of compensation... "

For some reason the LA Times decided that I couldn't look at the page in question unless I signed up for a free trial....

The underlined portion makes accepting the $84,889 as the average salary-especially since the benefits are being taken into consideration. No such thing as overtime but there are other forms of compensation such as stipends for extra work committees. 

Adding in the health benefits to the base salary changes that average salary drastically. Not all districts have the same health coverage because it's negotiable. 

Thank you for the clarification. 

Honored Contributor

kdgn wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

SweetAsARose wrote:

Yes it is true.

For some reason the LA Times decided that I couldn't look at the page in question unless I signed up for a free trial....

The underlined portion makes accepting the $84,889 as the average salary-especially since the benefits are being taken into consideration. No such thing as overtime but there are other forms of compensation such as stipends for extra work committees. 

Adding in the health benefits to the base salary changes that average salary drastically. Not all districts have the same health coverage because it's negotiable. 

Thank you for the clarification. 

Hi, @kdgnSmiley  You're welcome.  (Sidebar:  some of the websites have a limited number of times we can visit with our device before they put up a hard or soft paywall and they use cookies to determine whether we've gone over our allotment.   Often, if you'll clear the browser cookies/cache/website data you then can view the site again.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova