Honored Contributor

Re: Story on the news last night about teachers...

This is my 30th year teaching. I would never do anything else. I didn't get into it for the money. I teach in a Catholic school so I make a lot less than my public school counterparts. 

The whole idea that teachers have 3 months off is just not true. I have never had 3 months off.  I spend time in June doing inventories, cleaning my classroom, and taking required classes. I report back Aug. 1 for more professional development and to get ready for school which usually starts mid August. This means I have one month off in the summer. It is nice to have Spring Break and Christmas Break too. Yes, we get more days off than some other professions.  If you are jealous of that, go get your teaching certificate and come join us. 

I work a minimum of 12 hours a day, but usually more. I report in at 7 a.m.  I am usually home around 5 p.m. where I continue to work on things for school sometimes as late as 10 p.m.  I also spend time on my weekends completing everything that is required.  The workload is tremendous and has grown with each passing year I have been in the profession. 

I am not whining or complaining. I am just stating the facts as I have experienced them. BTW, I am returning in August 2016 for Year 31! Thanks to all the dedicated teachers out there who make a difference in the lives of children!

Respected Contributor

I have taught middle schoolersl for most of my teaching career-ages 11 (youngest) to 14, even a few 15 year olds.

I love my middle schoolers. There is nobody funnier than a 12 year old boy!!! They havent developed the 'filter', so what they see is what you get. I have been in tears laughing so hard at events with my kiddos:

Kiddos at the new school orchestra playing concert: ' What are they playing?' ' I dunno, it doesnt matter, it all sounds the same-painful."  Just a brief example, nor were they being snarky-it's just what they think, and I love them for it.

The parents-I wish they would listen to us, we are not the enemy. I just saw an alumni whose mother wouldnt listen and his mug shot was on the front page of the local rag for armed robbery-so sad.

The attrition rate in education among new teachers is 40% during the first 5 years of teaching; they just leave and dont look back. Is it the same in nursing?

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Teachers in Ann Arbor make $38,000 to $86,000.  Seems about right. 

@KarenQVC  The issue presented was that starting teachers were making $80,000 six years ago and it's already been show that was not the case in PA.

I would believe $80,000 for a teacher with a Master's or Ph.D and years of experience but certainly not for a first year teacher especially in elementary grades.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I find it sad (altho not surprising) that this thread degenerated into a - what are teachers worth - commentary.

It seems to me the issue is not whether teachers are worth their salary - or even how they should choose to receive it.  Nor is it about the county not wanting to pay them.

Instead this whole issue is symptomatic of our budget problems in general.  We have to decide what we can pay for and what we cannot.  And I am NOT suggesting that we not pay teachers.  However, money is very much the issue.  If we continue to insist that we can fund everything that people want (and clearly people's wants are unlimited - unlike the money to pay for them), we will either have to raise taxes (and not just on the 1% - but on everyone and significantly at that) or we will go bankrupt and no one will be paid - not teachers, not police and firemen, etc. etc. etc.

This applies Federally as well obviously.

Absolutely correct.

Yes, teachers need paid (and others that we pay with tax dollars that are worth more than they earn like police, fire, military etc.) but the truth is, that to pay them better, we have to cut other places.

Cut some of the waste in government, downsize the agencies who's main function is to sustain and grow their own existence, and quit thinking the government is a cradle to grave financial supporter of every citizen, and we'd have much better wages (and better educational outcomes, probably) with our public school systems.

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

This is my 30th year teaching. I would never do anything else. I didn't get into it for the money. I teach in a Catholic school so I make a lot less than my public school counterparts. 

The whole idea that teachers have 3 months off is just not true. I have never had 3 months off.  I spend time in June doing inventories, cleaning my classroom, and taking required classes. I report back Aug. 1 for more professional development and to get ready for school which usually starts mid August. This means I have one month off in the summer. It is nice to have Spring Break and Christmas Break too. Yes, we get more days off than some other professions.  If you are jealous of that, go get your teaching certificate and come join us. 

I work a minimum of 12 hours a day, but usually more. I report in at 7 a.m.  I am usually home around 5 p.m. where I continue to work on things for school sometimes as late as 10 p.m.  I also spend time on my weekends completing everything that is required.  The workload is tremendous and has grown with each passing year I have been in the profession. 

I am not whining or complaining. I am just stating the facts as I have experienced them. BTW, I am returning in August 2016 for Year 31! Thanks to all the dedicated teachers out there who make a difference in the lives of children!

You're right about the "three months"!!!lol!  I had to have major surgery to ever see three months off.

I LOVED teaching!

Honored Contributor

For those who really ARE interested in what teachers do, please take 3 minutes to watch this video...Cat Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zMbspRhqJc

Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@JillyMarie wrote:
"of course, they have the support of the community". Really? Taxpayers tend to despise teachers who receive their wages from taxes collected from hard working people.

I hope I'm misunderstanding your statement.  Most teachers work as hard or harder than some tax paying people.  And teachers pay taxes as well.  

To have money taken out of your salary for 9 or 10 months (called Deferred Pay) so that you have money for the summer and then not get it??  That's robbery pure and simple.

I think everyone is misunderstanding Jilly Marie's comment.  She is supporting the teachers.  But, and I have to agree, a large percent of the public don't like their tax dollars going to public servants, no matter how essential their jobs are.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@151949And you don't seem to understand that you never provided a source for the starting salary figure you gave early on this AM.  That means to me you can't support what you said-  so I'm going to continue to believe you had no proof, and that your figure was dead wrong. You and I are finished.

I promise not to bother with any OP you post. 

I'll feel better -  and you'll never know the difference. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I got 3 months (unpaid) off, but had to develop breast cancer to get it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Since teachers have the entire 3 month summer vacation off to my knowledge they do not get an additional paid vacation during the school year so I am curious how she would get time off during the school year for a destination wedding cruise. Unless it was during spring break or Christmas vacation.

*****This (above) is where it went downhill, people.*****

Wedding.

Destination wedding.

Destination wedding cruise.

Not a cookie and juice affair.....