Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sea World to Phase Out Killer Whale Show

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

If you see the documentary "Blackfish" you will never look at Sea World with the same eyes again.  Heartbreaking.

I happen to believe dolphins and whales are nearly as high up in the evolutionary scale as humans and to keep them in captivity for amusement is a terrible injustice to these highly intelligent species.

"Blackfish" was hardly objective look at Sea World. They had an agenda against Sea World.

Did you see it?

Yes, I did see it, with a open mind, knowing that there are always two sides (at least) to every story.

What about all the GOOD that Sea World does?

How come that wasn't covered in the documentary?

I mean, if was to be truly objective, they would have included all the good that they have done, and continue to do.

Why didn't they include that in their documentary too?

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

If you see the documentary "Blackfish" you will never look at Sea World with the same eyes again.  Heartbreaking.

I happen to believe dolphins and whales are nearly as high up in the evolutionary scale as humans and to keep them in captivity for amusement is a terrible injustice to these highly intelligent species.

"Blackfish" was hardly objective look at Sea World. They had an agenda against Sea World.

Did you see it?

Yes, I did see it, with a open mind, knowing that there are always two sides (at least) to every story.

I mean, if was to be truly objective, they would have included all the good that they have done, and continue to do.

Because it wasn't a PSA for Sea World.  It addressed the problems with the breeding and captivity of the Orcas.  Big problems.

If Sea World wants to just do conservation, I'm OK with that. The captivity and breeding of the higher sea mammals is just wrong IMO.  Nothing you say can change my mind on that.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

Did you see it?

Because it wasn't a PSA for Sea World.  It addressed the problems with the breeding and captivity of the Orcas.  Big problems.

If Sea World wants to just do conservation, I'm OK with that. The captivity and breeding of the higher sea mammals is just wrong IMO.  Nothing you say can change my mind on that.

I'm not trying to change your, or anybody's mind.

It's just in life, so very few things are black and white.

And, a documentary, is supposed to be objective, showing the good and the bad, and leave the viewer to make up their own minds.

"Blackfish" was hardly that.

They had an agenda, so it was not an objective documentary. 

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I have enjoyed the shows in San Diego. With that said I know it's wrong . They should not capture anymore whales for shows, but they should have the existing ones for the public to see or something. They sure can't be let out to the ocean.  Are they going phase out the dolphin and sea lion shows too?

Not that I know.  I've never been to any of the Sea Worlds but I'm sure they will keep showing dolphins doing tricks and or swimming around with people.  People love dolphins. They melt when they see them.