Honored Contributor

I just sit in the car and let them pump my gas and clean my windows....

Trusted Contributor

I have never put gas in a car, but I do know the engine is to be turned off when pumping gas. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynutwrote:

Something missing in this story. Where did the mom go while filling up the car? I fill ours up/engine always off/keys in my pocket/gas filler is usually a part of the vehicle, where I stand/and I never leave the vicinity of the vehicle. Use credit or debit card.

So this mother went where? Most gas stations I have ever been have a sign on each pump: "turn engine off while filling"

All good tips. I however think too many people do not take driving and other tasks with motor vehicles serious enough. Kids or no kids. 

Sorry that I left out the fact that the mom apparently went in the gas station to pay for her gas and left the child in the car, car unlocked with the keys in it and that's how it was stolen.

Honored Contributor

I always pay cash at the gas station.  Too many thieves put those things in the credit card receptacle that steals your info.  I don't know why it is that it's an easier thing to do than a lot of other places, but gas pumps seem to be the most popular place for this.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I always pay cash at the gas station.  Too many thieves put those things in the credit card receptacle that steals your info.  I don't know why it is that it's an easier thing to do than a lot of other places, but gas pumps seem to be the most popular place for this.

@chickenbutt 

Not really sure what "those things in the credit card receptacle" means, but using my debit card there is probably no more susceptible than other uses.

Where did you hear/see service station pumps are the most popular and successful at stealing(hacking) one's info? Would think those brilliant enough to hack and break codes, would have bigger digit($$$$) targets, to use their talents.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

i never pay with cash at the gas station.

i always use a gas station credit card because i earn extra cents off with their loyalty programs.....occasionally use a credit card. i dont leave my car.

once the gas begins pumping i get back into my car and sit. when it goes off, i get out, put the nozzle back into the car, get my receipt, and off i go.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt 

Not really sure what "those things in the credit card receptacle" means, but using my debit card there is probably no more susceptible than other uses.

Where did you hear/see service station pumps are the most popular and successful at stealing(hacking) one's info? Would think those brilliant enough to hack and break codes, would have bigger digit($$$$) targets, to use their talents.

hckynut 

@hckynut Gas pumps are a favorite target for thieves using card skimmers because, unlike a lot of places you use your debit card, the card reader is outside the establishment and far away from employees who could monitor activity or tampering.

Here's one resource.  There are many.

https://www.snbsd.com/about/news/how-to-detect-a-card-skimmer-at-the-gas-pump-

Personally, I use a CC at the pump because I know I'm protected from fraudulent charges and I like the rewards.  But paying cash avoids the risk entirely.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@hckynut Gas pumps are a favorite target for thieves using card skimmers because, unlike a lot of places you use your debit card, the card reader is outside the establishment and far away from employees who could monitor activity or tampering.

Personally, I use a CC at the pump because I know I'm protected from fraudulent charges and I like the rewards.  But paying cash avoids the risk entirely.

Thank You for stating this with better specificity.   I often have trouble remember words these days so, while true, what I wrote sounded kind of stupid.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

Thank You for stating this with better specificity.   I often have trouble remember words these days so, while true, what I wrote sounded kind of stupid.   Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt I didn't think it sounded stupid at all Heart

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42  I knew exactly what you meant. They are also called credit card readers. They fit over the credit card gadget & look just like the original card reader. 

If only people would spend their spare time creating good things instead of thinking up ways to scam people.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼