Honored Contributor

Re: Ring on the Left Ring Finger

@JBKO

If you can't be straightforward with him and ask,  then the relationship isn't "going anywhere" anyway. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

You need to start as you mean to go on. Beating around the bush ,with important issues, is no good at all

Honored Contributor

I've been around a lot of men who wear a ring on their left hand and it's not a wedding band.

Masonic rings might top the list, university rings are another, and sometimes it's just a ring that is special to them. 

Respected Contributor

Just ask him about the ring. 

I don't understand the reluctance...

Honored Contributor

If it were me, and I saw a guy with a ring on his left ring finger, I'd take that to mean 100% he is married.
Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:
If it were me, and I saw a guy with a ring on his left ring finger, I'd take that to mean 100% he is married.

I would think so too.

If it wasn't a traditional looking wedding band, I would ask what it was or something.  I would probably ask right away.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

why torture yourself? just ask him. the worst he can say is yes. then that's the end of it. 

Honored Contributor

My parents married back in the day when most men didn't wear wedding rings.

He did wear his Masonic ring with symbols for all he'd achieved there.  Every day, he was very proud of it and he wore it on his left hand.  I'm guessing most people would have no idea what the small symbols were.

Trusted Contributor

I am a widow.    Because of arthritis and swollen fingers I had to have my wedding band cut off.  I still wear a ring on that finger.   Over the course of 3 months I had a couple of casual dinner dates with a professor at the college where I worked.  He did not wear a wedding ring.  He spoke often of his 2 adult children who he was so proud of.   As far as others and I could find out he was not married.  For the next date he wanted me to go to his daughters for the weekend in Philly.  So far all info checked out but I was not ready for an overnight as I made assumptions.  I did not go.   Later he had to go teach elsewhere for a semester and that was the end.  I still had my dignity and was OK with all.    Months later while I was in our local fitness center dressing room I heard some women talking.   A very nice lady who was in my water exercise class was talking about her husband.    They were from Europe and she was explaining and complaining about his outdated male European dominant attitude.   I changed slowly and listened.  When she introduced herself to a new person I heard her last name for the first time.  I was mortified.  I had dated her husband.  We talked about family and he had mentioned his children's mother but never said he was not married.  I don't know if I had been smart and asked him outright would he have been honest.  All he chose to tell me was true.  Men and women can both be devious.  It took me a few years to gain back my trust in men.   Please do your homework on this gentleman and ask questions.  You need truthful answers.  I did not ask enough questions because I was given a truthful background that left out the answer to the 1 most important question I should have asked.   If you have any doubts put the breaks on.  After this I had a man who slipped and let it out that he had diabetes.  He had heard about the great care I gave my husband during his long illness.  He thought I would take good care of him.   NOT.  I ran.  I now have a friend who has my same interests, similar likes and dislikes.  I said up front I was not looking for marriage but want the same honesty between us.  We agreed.  We take outings to races, antique functions and auctions, anything 1 of us finds of interest.  We go Dutch with no strings attached.  We live in our own homes and we stay close to our families.  In our 70s we know there will be a time when we will have to part because of health.  We both have been caregivers and did not want to do that to each other.  We are making memories and hoping we are able to draw on them when we are sitting in our rocking chair.  It works for us.  Our love for each other is not the same as the love of 20s getting married for the first time.  " Till death do us part".  Some of us are widowed earlier than we could ever dream.   Take baby steps being careful along the way.  Make your beautiful memories when you find that great person you are looking for.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Gram W

What a wonderful post!

I'm go glad you wrote about your experiences, they're very informative and interesting.  What a great example you provided.

I'm glad you found happiness and it sounds like a perfect arrangement for you both Smiley Happy