Valued Contributor

Re: Primetimer Forum

[ Edited ]

@1tuffcookie wrote:

I hope QVC management took a close look at what was posted there like screenshots from live programming, transcripts from broadcasts, and comments about hosts' social media posts.  There was a lot of valid criticism by QVC customers about QVC generated content.  Shutting it down will not stop the viewpoints or online discussions.  The only way to stop it is for QVC to address the obviously flawed parts of its organization/broadcasts.

Exactly. And now that TPTB have exerted their heavy hand of authority, it's only going to cause multiple other sites to rise up, and the criticism and comments against the hosts, etc is only going to increase. I can already see SEVERAL new sites with absolutely NO moderation where people will happily go and post to their hearts' content. Prime Timer did those folks a favor. Trying to control people's freedom of speech always backfires, especially when the speech is justified.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I guess I'm late,to the party....what is the Primetimer Forum? I've never heard of it. 

@Effie54 Me either.

It was a forum with some pretty out there content in regard to QVC show hosts. Bad enough to maybe where the show hosts hired a lawyer to cease and desist?(speculating here) So the site closed the Home Shopping channel section. The other sub forums appear to still be available to post @Sooner @Effie54.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I guess I'm late,to the party....what is the Primetimer Forum? I've never heard of it. 

@Effie54 Me either.

If you are interested, the forum itself is still there. (Google Prime Timer forum) 

I may be wrong, but I think It was originally called "Television Without Pity," and people could post and snark about anything on TV, including home shopping channels and hosts, etc.  When TWOP closed, Prime Timer took over and a pretty significant group of super funny, snarky, sarcastic folks became regulars on the Home Shopping Forums. There were separate threads dedicated entirely to certain hosts ( Shawn and Kerstin, I think were the two who had their own threads,) and then more generic threads to snark about everyone and everything else. 

It was quite a robust and thriving community, so I'm not sure why Prime Timer had to go and cancel them.  They are shooting themselives in the foot because they're ultimately going to lose advertising revenue, in the end. The moderation over there became pretty suffocating, with ever changing rules, no sense of humor and no appreciation for irony. 

From the scuttlebutt online, they shut it down with absolutely no warning, which was a really low blow.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@Effie54 Me either.

It was a forum with some pretty out there content in regard to QVC show hosts. Bad enough to maybe where the show hosts hired a lawyer to cease and desist?(speculating here) So the site closed the Home Shopping channel section. The other sub forums appear to still be available to post @Sooner @Effie54.

I wonder, but free speech is legally protected, so not sure how that would be possible. I think it is more likely that someone from the Q or even one of the hosts joined the forum and harrassed the mods into closure.

Having said that, PT had shut down a month or so ago and returned with new posting and new moderation policies. They implemented a color coding system of red, yellow and green with obvious implications, and someone mentioned that the QVC forum was red lighted and that was supposed to be warning enough that it was on the verge of shut down. Cancel culture at its finest.

Honored Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

IMG_0131.jpeg

Oh brother. They managed to hit pretty much every single virtue signaling buzz word available. I wasn't a participant and based on this, I won't become one. What a shame. Wake up, some things are just for entertainment. Lofty social goals are not required.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Suziqzee wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@Effie54 Me either.

I wonder, but free speech is legally protected, so not sure how that would be possible. I think it is more likely that someone from the Q or even one of the hosts joined the forum and harrassed the mods into closure.

Having said that, PT had shut down a month or so ago and returned with new posting and new moderation policies. They implemented a color coding system of red, yellow and green with obvious implications, and someone mentioned that the QVC forum was red lighted and that was supposed to be warning enough that it was on the verge of shut down. Cancel culture at its finest.

Free speech is not legally protected if someone is being harrassed @Suziqzee . Difficult but certainly not impossible to enforce. 

Honored Contributor

@mmcc8877 

I've neve seen a "primetimer" forum here.  I don't know how I missed it.  What was it about?

Honored Contributor

Re: Primetimer Forum

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

@mmcc8877 

I've neve seen a "primetimer" forum here.  I don't know how I missed it.  What was it about?

A few weeks ago I read a post about it. I checked it out and lots of different topics. Apparently, the Home Shopping sub forum was removed. It was a forum where people discussed QVC. I, personally, know zero about the moderation because I haven't looked at it since @monicakm . Edited to add...it isn't here on QVC

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Suziqzee wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@Effie54 Me either.

Free speech is not legally protected if someone is being harrassed @Suziqzee . Difficult but certainly not impossible to enforce. 

Yes, and I guess the definition of "harrassment" is open to interpretation. It used to be that only truly harmful speech, like the classic example of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater (where there is no fire) was unprotected, but you are correct, the laws have expanded. I still don't think a lawyer would touch this, but maybe I'm wrong. We will never know.

Personally, I think the world will fast become a very boring and homogenized place if we are no longer allowed to laugh at ourselves, and each other. But that's just me. Once words became "violent" we knew the slippery slope was surpassed.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Trinity11