Honored Contributor

I recently have gotten emails from HULU and Netflix (2) stating my membership is expiring. I have my credit card on account with each streaming platform and am billed automatically. I have to assume that these are scam emails hoping I'll reply and give my credit card information. By the way neither membership has been cancelled, they're working fine. 

Honored Contributor

There are some very creative and tricky scammers out there. I/we have gotten those kinds of emails from several sources, to verify shipping (something we never ordered), confirm billing, etc.  If you click on the email sender's name, you'll see an email address that makes no sense.  

If ever there's a question, go to the company site via your browser, to check or update an account, NEVER via the reply button. 

Trusted Contributor

I have an iPass account for when we travel the toll roads in IL. My kid's cars are also on the account. Last week, they were traveling through IL for spring break and used the iPass account. I got a text message yesterday that I owed $15.00 in tolls. I have money on the account and I was charged for the tolls they used. These scammers find you in any way they can.

Honored Contributor

My Grandson called me the other day. He didn't know his first name. It was a scam.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1   Good question for any relative to ask.

Some years ago before there'd been so what warning about that scam, a friend of mine got one of those calls.  Something made her suspicious in the spiel and she managed to think fast and asked for his sister's name.  The scammer hung up before she did!

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

My Grandson called me the other day. He didn't know his first name. It was a scam.

Huh?

Super Contributor

those that keep and know their financial records can easily avoid these basic scams    one of my favorite songs and groups 

BTO "takin care of business"  avoids most scams

mrshckynut 

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Huh?

@SharkE 

Someone called pretending to be her grandson. A common and pretty old scam. One way to stop them in their tracks is to ask them something only the real grandson would know. Usually you'd ask something a little harder than the grandson's first name, but hey, it worked. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes these calls even show your Grandson's actual phone number!  Don't know how they can do that but they do!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Possible Scams

[ Edited ]

@SharkE   I think what @Group 5 minus 1 meant was that someone called claiming to be her grandson.   But the person could not provide her real grandson's name so she knew it was a scam.