Esteemed Contributor

Re: Olympics: Wardrobe Malfunction🙄

As a former figure skater, I can say without a doubt that these malfunctions were exactly that. These athletes work WAY too hard to pull off silly stunts that could jeopardize their performance. It’s ridiculous that these costumes, which cost thousands, are hanging by a thread, and a tenuous one at that. Another thing I noticed is that many of whe women’s costumes were longer in spots, with flowing strips of fabric that I feared could get caught on their blades. I think the costume designers have to get back to the drawing boards...literally.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it was deliberate-too much is at stake and it obviously affected their performance.  However, IMO I think a lot of the costumes border on the ridiculous.  

Super Contributor

As with the Super Bowl from 2004 (thank you Janet Jackson) ... any "performer" can safely protect themselves.  As for the Olympics, the Committee should simply require the skating lady participants to wear something as discreet as these:

Respected Contributor

I don’t think the wardrobe malfunctions are a stunt or conspiracy.  But I do wonder why they don’t make their outfits more fool proof so the skater doesn’t have to worry about something happening. The skimpy straps just don’t seem practical. 

Honored Contributor

How were their scores? 😆

Respected Contributor

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "slippery slope(s)".

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023wrote:

@gidgetghwrote:

I watched it last night. Wardrobe malfunction looked legitimate to me. 

@gidgetgh  How right you are.  It sure did look legitimate.  These women on here love to make a mountain out of molehill. 

Thinking the worst of these young athletes is just sad. I also think accusing this young woman of "pulling a stunt" demonstrates a lack of respect for women in general.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmusewrote:

How were their scores? 😆

@GenXmuse - It did affect their scores. They still landed in second place, but if it hadn't happened they might have beaten Virtue/Moir, who are the favorites (and my favorites). They train together with them and share the same coaches.

Right before they went on the ice, they were looking at that clasp, and someone was doing something to it. In NO way do I think this was deliberate. It is too bad that when it came unclapsed during the performance, she was aware of it and it affected the way she skated. She did better than a lot of them would have.

What can you do? You can't stop the program and tell the judges to wait a minute while you fix it and then you'll start your program over! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Vivianwrote:

As a former figure skater, I can say without a doubt that these malfunctions were exactly that. These athletes work WAY too hard to pull off silly stunts that could jeopardize their performance. It’s ridiculous that these costumes, which cost thousands, are hanging by a thread, and a tenuous one at that. Another thing I noticed is that many of whe women’s costumes were longer in spots, with flowing strips of fabric that I feared could get caught on their blades. I think the costume designers have to get back to the drawing boards...literally.

@Vivian

I totally agree that no athlete who has worked so hard  to enter international competition would want to be remembered for this sort of exposure.

There is no way this skater planned this.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-momwrote:

@GenXmusewrote:

How were their scores? 😆

@GenXmuse - It did affect their scores. They still landed in second place, but if it hadn't happened they might have beaten Virtue/Moir, who are the favorites (and my favorites). They train together with them and share the same coaches.

Right before they went on the ice, they were looking at that clasp, and someone was doing something to it. In NO way do I think this was deliberate. It is too bad that when it came unclapsed during the performance, she was aware of it and it affected the way she skated. She did better than a lot of them would have.

What can you do? You can't stop the program and tell the judges to wait a minute while you fix it and then you'll start your program over! Smiley Wink

Well that's what Tonya Harding would have done, lol !!!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead